Wow, another week of actively seeking Weasels and we come up with two topics that are Worlds apart.
Council winner The Provocateur delivered a financial white paper that walks us through the history of how we were thrown on the doorstep of this latest financial calamity and follows that explanation up with solutions that could help lead us out of this terrible situation. Feeding on the heels of Forbes and other economists The Provocateur discusses the need to do away with Mark to Market while restoring a sense of capitalism to the bag of solutions. From new regulation to the elimination of credit default swaps The Provocateur discusses them all.
On the Non-Council winning side we have Ishmael Khaldi, an Israeli Arab Muslim and the highest-ranking Muslim representing Israel in the United States. Khalidi discusses the myths surrounding the claim that Israel’s policies toward the Palestinians amount to apartheid; a myth that is prevalent among the American left and perpetuated by all enemies of Israel.
Last year, at UC Berkeley, I had the opportunity to “dialogue” with some of the organizers of these events. My perspective is unique, both as the vice-consul for Israel in San Francisco, and as a Bedouin and the highest-ranking Muslim representing the Israel in the United States. I was born into a Bedouin tribe in Northern Israel, one of 11 children, and began life as shepherd living in our family tent. I went on to serve in the Israeli border police, and later earned a master’s degree in political science from Tel Aviv University before joining the Israel Foreign Ministry.
I am a proud Israeli – along with many other non-Jewish Israelis such as Druze, Bahai, Bedouin, Christians and Muslims, who live in one of the most culturally diversified societies and the only true democracy in the Middle East. Like America, Israeli society is far from perfect, but let us deals honestly. By any yardstick you choose – educational opportunity, economic development, women and gay’s rights, freedom of speech and assembly, legislative representation – Israel’s minorities fare far better than any other country in the Middle East.
This topic is particularly relevant as activists put their hate of Israel on full display during the so called “Israel Apartheid Week“. (and yes, there is a Global Voices outlet). Not surprisingly I learned that Reuters is a sponsor of Global Voices and hence a sponsor by proxy of Israel Apartheid Week.
Khaldi obviously knows of what he speaks and had the opportunity to “dialogue” with some Israeli haters at Berkeley but I fear it fell on deaf ears.
The myth of Israel’s discriminatory “apartheid” policies is being aggressively peddled throughout the world by its enemies. Most of those who buy this popular canard are entirely ignorant of the truth about Israeli society. They have never heard about the equal opportunities and rights enjoyed by Israelis of myriad races, religions and creeds. Additionally, most of those who embrace this myth are clueless about the repressive and dictatorial governments ruling in every one of Israel’s neighbors. Worse, these critics of Israel make no effort to remedy their ignorance.
Israeli Jews who attempt to inject some truth into the “apartheid” debate are dismissed as biased. Hence, the following defense of Israel’s civil rights is invaluable. It is written by a very brave Arab Israeli. Unafraid of breaking ranks with most of his brethren, he publicly sings Israel’s praises.
Lost in the blur of slogans
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Please pass on all the winning council entries! Congrats and have a great Weasel free weekend!
Winning Council Submissions
- First place with 3 1/3 points! – The Provocateur – The Financial Crisis White Paper
- Second place with 1 2/3 points – Mere Rhetoric – Four Theories Why Obama Is Throwing Britain Under The Bus
- Third place with 1 1/3 points – Joshuapundit – About Those Israeli ‘Settlements’
- Fourth place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Right Truth – Poll on World Equal Rights for Women
- Fourth place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Bookworm Room – A couple of thoughts about the American Revolution
- Fourth place with 2/3 points – (T*) – The Colossus of Rhodey – National Review Online’s Top 25 Conservative Movies of the Last Quarter Century
Winning Non-Council Submissions
- First place with 2 points! – This ongoing war – “I was born into a Bedouin tribe…”
- Second place with 1 2/3 points – Zenpundit – Obama’s Foreign Policy Trifecta of Foolishness
- Third place with 1 1/3 points – (T*) – Gateway Pundit – Cuba Si, Colombia No?
- Third place with 1 1/3 points – (T*) – American Thinker – The New American Class Structure
- Fourth place with 1 points – The Investigative Project On Terrorism – Are Acts of Staged Controversy an Islamist Strategic Tactic?
- Fifth place with 2/3 point – The Economist – Lexington: Anger Management
- Sixth place with 1/3 point – (T*) – Pat Dollard – The Founding Fathers Would Want Obama to Fail
- Sixth place with 1/3 point – (T*) – Biga’s Rants at Townhall.com – We are divided. So Be it.
- Sixth place with 1/3 point – (T*) – The Mudville Gazette – Diversions (III)