It is another blockbuster contest from the Watcher’s Council and this time all Non-Member entries have landed a place in the winner’s circle!
On the council side council Greg at Rhymes With Right slaps down the tiring illogical arguments made by loons on the left that feel compelled to lump those that invoke the Tenth Amendment with “birthers”.
Radley Balko writes an interesting piece on the left-wing attack on those who invoke the Tenth Amendment.
The American Prospect, The New Republic, and other left-of-center outlets are pushing the “Tenther” smear, aimed at lumping those who, horrors!, still take seriously the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in with the Obama birth certificate deniers and 9/11 truthers.It’s such a transparent attempt at marginalizing the other side (mostly with respect to the health care issue) it seems almost a waste of time addressing. But one might start by pointing out that unlike any convincing evidence that Obama isn’t a U.S. citizen, or proof that the Bush administration orchestrated the September 11 attacks, the Tenth Amendment actually exists. You can actually go to the National Archives and read it. There’s also a historical record of its drafting and ratification. Really.
Of course, there is also another argument that gets trotted out against those of us who believe that the tenth Amendment actually means something – that it really has no meaning and that any limits in it are overridden by the text of the Constitution itself. Take this example from a local lefty loon.
The US Constitution, contrary to the opinions of the “Tenthers” out there who cite the 10th Amendment as evidence that Congress has no right to act on healthcare legislation, includes healthcare reform in Article I Section 8, an enumeration of the powers and responsibilities of Congress. To wit:“The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.”
Click on “Wefare” for a definition. Yes, “health” is there.
Of course, this ignores two minor details. First, that the Tenth Amendment would be seen as overriding any contrary provisions of the Constitution given that it amended what previously existed. But beyond that, using a contemporary definition of the word “welfare” ignores the fact that such a definition is anachronistic when applied to the text of an eighteenth century document, where the word would have had a meaning much closer to the definition found in the original 1828 dictionary compiled by Noah Webster:
Read the whole post and see how Greg applies clarity to left wing nonsense.
Speaking of winning with clarity, Non-Council winner Jennifer Rubin at Commentary Magazine contrasts the moral clarity of Benjamin Netanyahu with the embarrassing and naive speech that was provide by left wing messiah Barack Obama.
If the president’s speech was one of the more embarrassing and shameful displays by a U.S. President before the UN, then today brought a reminder of the power of moral clarity. Bibi Netanyahu delivered a scathing condemnation of those who sat and listened to Holocaust denier Ahmadinejad. And he brought some visual aids:
“Last month I went to a villa in a suburb of Berlin called Wannsee,” Netanyahu recalled a visit to the pastoral villa, where over just a few hours on January 20 1942 the Nazis devised the Final Solution—the decision to exterminate the Jews from Europe.
Netanyahu then dramatically showed a facsimile copy of Final Solution documents drafted in Wannsee.
“Is this protocol a lie?” he asked. “Is the German government lying?” “The day before I was in Wannsee,” Netanyahu continued, “I was given in Berlin the original construction plans for the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. “These plans I now hold in my hand,” he said, as he was showing the worn-out blueprints to the assembly. “They contain a signature by Heinrich Himmler, Hitler’s deputy.
“Are these plans of the camp where one million Jews were murdered a lie too?” he asked.
Netanyahu then turned to attacking Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, saying “Yesterday, the man who called the Holocaust a lie spoke from this podium. For those who refused to come, and those who left in protest—I commend you, you stood up for moral clarity.’
“But for those who stayed—I say on behalf of the Jewish people, my people and decent people everywhere—have you no shame? No decency? What a disgrace, what a mockery of the charter of the UN.”
Netanyahu then told the assembly “perhaps some of you think that this man and his regime threaten only the Jews—well, if you think that—you’re wrong, dead wrong.
“In the past 30 years, this fanaticism spread across the globe with a murderous violence that knows no bounds,” he said, noting that Islamic terrorism hurt Muslims, Christian and Hindus as well as Jews.
You can read the whole post here. Please stop by and support all winning entries by clicking on the links below. Until then we will keep searching for the biggest weasels in the world and let you in on their game next Wednesday!
Winning Council Submissions
- First place with 1 2/3 points! – Rhymes With Right – A Note On The “Tenther” Smear
- Second place with 1 points – (T*) – Soccer Dad – Leaving the nest
- Second place with 1 points – (T*) – Joshuapundit – Welcome To The Babi Yar Hotel
- Second place with 1 points – (T*) – The Colossus of Rhodey – More on Obama’s ridiculous foreign policy
- Second place with 1 points – (T*) – Mere Rhetoric – Obama Knew About Secret Iran Facility During Transition, Experts Pushed Engagement Anyway With Pro-Iran Pretexts
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Right Truth – Why America Could Be Doomed
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Bookworm Room – Obama Keeps Hitler Analogy in the Public Eye
- Fourth place with 1/3 points – The Provocateur – Yet Another Defining Moment
Winning Non-Council Submissions
- First place with 1 1/3 points! – Jennifer Rubin/Commentary – Netanyahu’s Speech for the Ages
- Second place with 1 1/3 points – RedState – Common Sense Outlawed in Indiana
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Breitbart TV – Sources: Sarkozy Thinks Obama is ‘Incredibly Naive and Grossly Egotistical’
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – The Anchoress – A Study in Contrasts
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – WSJ/Bret Stephens – The Neocons Make a Comeback
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – StreetWise – It’s Not a Real Estate Crisis, It’s a Debt Crisis
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – The Times Online (UK) – The Anglo-world of settlers, not dominators
- Third place with 2/3 points – (T*) – Larry Greenfield / American Thinker – Liberal Jews and the Legacy of Neoconservatism
- Fourth place with 1/3 points – (T*) – Kausfiles @Slate – Did ACORN chicanery elect Al Franken?
- Fourth place with 1/3 points – (T*) – Simply Jews – Ich bin kein Berliner?
- Fourth place with 1/3 points – (T*) – Fore-Left – Speaking of Vast Conspriacies..
(T*) – Indicates a Tie.