I refuse to listen to the hypocritical New York Times when it suddenly discovers the rule of law and starts to care about a president’s associates.
A Progressive friend was tremendously excited about an editorial in the New York Times. In it, the editorial board exulted about the fact that the president is exposed for all to see: an unsavory con man with no respect for the rule of law. I think it’s worth quoting a part of it:
Mr. Obama has spent his career in the company of developers and celebrities, and also of grifters, cons, sharks, goons and crooks. He cuts corners, he lies, he cheats, he brags about it, and for the most part, he’s gotten away with it, protected by threats of litigation, hush money and his own bravado. Those methods may be proving to have their limits when they are applied from the Oval Office. Though Democrat leaders in Congress still keep a cowardly silence. . . .
Yeah, you caught me — I switched out president names (Obama for Trump) and political parties (Democrats for Republicans). In fact, the New York Times is in full-throated condemnation about Trump’s disdain for the rule of law, the unsavory characters with which he surrounds himself, his open disrespect for the media and law enforcement, and his shenanigans to achieve and retain power.
Much to my Progressive friend’s dismay, I was not impressed, stating only that the New York Times lacked any standing to voice these concerns because it had been completely silent about Obama’s disdain for the rule of law, the unsavory characters with which he surrounded himself, or his shenanigans to achieve and retain power. The Progressive did not want to hear details, instead castigating me for living in a bubble and having no respect for the rule of law.
Had I not been shut down, I would have said this: First, I knew exactly what kind of person I was getting with Donald Trump. I knew he was sleazy, I knew he was unfaithful to his wives, I knew that he had sleazy friends (witness his friendship with the Clintons), and I knew that he was willing to push his way around the law if he could. I also knew that he loved his country, that he has a deserved reputation for getting things done, and that he was not Hillary, the ultimate grifter, sleaze, and law-breaker. Since he’s been president, I’ve cut all ties with caring about his sometimes less-than-savory past. He’s done nothing but good for American interests at home and abroad, and he’s done so within both the letter and spirit of the Constitution.
Second, to hear this kind of condemnation coming from the New York Times is unacceptable, because the New York Times has, over the past decade, kept its eyes so tightly closed when it came to Obama, Hillary and bill. Here’s a short laundry list of things (activities and associates) that did not turn the Times into a pearl-clutching, hysterical morality police officer:
- Obama destroyed his opponent, Jack Ryan, in the race for Illinois state assembly by leaking Ryan’s sealed divorce records.
- Obama sat for 20 years in the pew of the Rev. Wright’s antisemitic, America-hating, black supremacist church.
- Obama’s political career began in the home of Bill Ayers, a confessed American terrorist, married to another confessed American terrorist.
- Obama and the L.A. Times are still refusing to say what happened at a dinner for Palestinians Obama attended, but their silence speaks volumes about just how bad it was.
- Obama has invariably indicted law enforcement whenever blacks and police have clashed, whether it was the mistaken identity of a Harvard professor trying to break into his own house or the death of a drugged out thug intent on taking down a police officer.
- Obama hangs with the pro-Death crowd that is and surrounds Planned Parenthood. (As I told a friend, I never intended to become pro-Life. I just felt I had no option when I looked at the death-hungry, life-denying ghoulishness of Obama’s friends.)
- Obama hung out with the Clintons, first hiring Hillary to be his Secretary of State and then having Bill give the campaign resuscitating speech in 2012.
- Obama carried out illegal drone attacks in countries with which we were not at war.
- Obama spied on the AP and Fox News and, throughout his presidency, insulted Fox News and its audience.
- Obama and his minions illegally unmasked American citizens in an effort to destroy Trump’s presidency before it even started.
- Obama accepted illegal campaign contributions because his site was deliberately set up so as not to screen out illegal contributions from overseas.
- Obama went to war in Libya without consulting either Congress or the U.N., let alone getting permission from Congress.
- Obama refused to enforce America’s border laws, including allowing the illegal entry of tens of thousands of children and, worse, setting up an entire administrative scheme in the form of DACA.
- Obama unconstitutionally and repeatedly amended the Affordable Care Act because to have followed it as written would have meant that it died before it even got off the ground.
- Obama presided over an illegally weaponized IRS, which was deliberately using its awesome power to destroy Republican and pro-Israel political organizations — and then, when these wrongs were exposed, refused to use his DOJ to address the problem.
- Obama freely announced that, because both statutes and the Constitution prevented him from gun control, he would just circumvent them, despite lacking the express or implied power to do so.
- Obama presided over a sham investigation into Hillary Clinton’s manifest national security violations.
- Obama loved to show how cool he was by inviting rappers to the White House — you know, the kind who had felony convictions and exalted cop-killing and raping “bitches.”
- Hillary and Bill, through the Clinton Foundation, sold of American influence to the highest bidder.
- Hillary grossly and intentionally violated America’s national security by running all of her business a Secretary of State through a home-brewed server that didn’t even have meaningful security controls.
- Hillary sold 20% of America’s uranium interests to the Russians in return for money donated to the Clinton Foundation, which is merely a front for the Clintons.
- Hillary and Bill grifted the entire poor, damaged island of Haiti, diverting donations into their own pockets.
- Bill, while president, sold large parts of America’s technology, including its national security, to the Chinese, in exchange for his own return to the White House in 1996.
- Hillary ignored Ambassador Stevens’ increasingly urgent requests for more security in Benghazi, then refused to provide aid when the consulate was attacked, and finally lied about the whole thing afterwards — a lie in which the entire Obama administration joined her.
I could go on, of course, (on and on and on and on) but I promised just a partial list. For the New York Times, which could look with a benign, often approving, eye on all of the above, suddenly to discover moral decency and the rule of law is the outside of enough. I’m not saying Trump is a better person than Obama, Hillary, and Bill, but I am saying that he differs from them in the only way that matters to me: Now that he is in the White House, he is running an honest administration for America’s benefit.
So, to the New York Times and those who believe in its oracular qualities, yes, my fingers are in my ears and, yes, I’m ignoring you. You can never have anything worthwhile to say to me on this subject.