Today we have reached a new landmark in the Chavezification of the U.S. government as FDA regulators claim that General Mills cannot tout the healthy benefits of Cheerios unless they are classified as a drug.
“Based on claims made on your product’s label, we have determined that your Cheerios Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal is promoted for conditions that cause it to be a drug,” the FDA said in a letter to General Mills which was posted on the federal agency’s website Tuesday.
Cheerios labels claim that eating the cereal can help lower bad cholesterol, a risk factor for coronary heart disease, by four percent in six weeks.
Citing a clinical study, the product labels also claim that eating two servings a day of Cheerios helps to reduce bad cholesterol when eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, the FDA letter says.
Those claims indicate that Cheerios — said by General Mills to be the best-selling cereal in the United States — is intended to be used to lower cholesterol and prevent, lessen or treat the disease hypercholesterolemia, and to treat and prevent coronary heart disease.
“Because of these intended uses, the product is a drug,” the FDA concluded in its letter.
Not only that, but Cheerios is a new drug because it has not been “recognized as safe and effective for use in preventing or treating hypercholesterolemia or coronary heart disease,” the FDA said.
That means General Mills may not legally market Cheerios unless it applies for approval as a new drug or changes the way it labels the small, doughnut-shaped cereal, the FDA said.
What we have here is another case of hole in the head syndrome, appropriate for labeling Cheerios as a drug. More ominous however is the power grab being made by a federal government that continues to infringe upon the lives of Americans and attack free enterprise at every opportunity with threats of taxation, regulation and the various tools that have been created by the government as a means to control every aspect of an American citizen’s lifestyle. At the end of the day that translates to more money leaving your pocket and being added to the collective federal sink hole where it will eventually be redistributed to the slacker down the street (in return for their vote of course).
Instead of warning people about the dangers of statin drugs the FDA continues to shake down private enterprise in a manner that would make the Gambino Family proud.
Speaking of weasels we once again have a new contest underway. Please read the following articles and return later to see which authors have received the accolades of the Watchers’ Council for the weeks best articles.
- Soccer Dad – The purple prose of cairo
- Right Truth – Barack Stewie Obama
- The Provocateur – The Nightmare of Dr. Shirley Pigott
- Bookworm Room – The inevitable result of identity politics
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Star Trek as Socialist Utopia
- Rhymes With Right – Left-Wing Sluttification Of Conservative Women
- The Glittering Eye – Joe Schuler: The Boy Who Made Good
- The Razor – Cheney Gets It – But the GOP Doesn’t
- Wolf Howling – Casual Marxism & Supreme Court Nominees?
- Submitted By: Soccer Dad – The Optimistic Conservative – Charging the Chokepoints
- Submitted By: Right Truth – Infidel Bloggers Alliance – Obama’s “Blood Tax”
- Submitted By: The Provocateur – Elizabeth Sauls @ The Beufort Observer – Presidential Sleight of Hand Keeps Reporter Befuddled
- Submitted By: Bookworm Room – The American Thinker – Why does Hollywood love Fidel Castro
- Submitted By: The Colossus of Rhodey – Prospect Magazine – Fear Masquerading as Tolerance
- Submitted By: Rhymes With Right – Newsbusters – So Where Are the NCOs in Star Trek?
- Submitted By: The Glittering Eye – Abu Muqawama – McKiernan Out, McChrystal In (Updated)
- Submitted By: The Razor – Big Hollywood – Conservatives Need to Fire the Marketing Department
- Submitted By: Wolf Howling – Zhudi Jasser @ The Huffington Post – Getting Real On Shariah?