Eight years ago Republican governor George W. Bush was elected to replace Democratic President Bill Clinton. The expectations were high as Republicans enjoyed a House majority and would soon follow that up with a majority in Senate; a comfortable position that was defended until both houses of Congress were turned over to the Democrats on January 4, 2007. The story of how the Republicans had fallen from grace is a mixture of terrible leadership, the inability or lack of desire to defend core conservative values from Democratic Party assaults and a mainstream media that took advantage of both.
Yesterday evening the Republican Party yielded its one potential refuge as the nation elected Senator Barack Obama its 44th President as by a wide margin with at least 349 electoral votes to John McCains 147. The House picked up 25 seats at last count and the Senate at least 5 with a recount about to begin in the Minnesota race between not so funny comedian Al Franken and Republican incumbent Norm Coleman.
The first African American President is one that will be cherished by many as the country’s stain of slavery is lifted by this momentous event. The election is historical and will give way to many challenges on both sides of the aisle.
Those challenges will yield many weasels. Our job is just beginning.
Please enjoy this week’s submissions by the Watcher’s Council:
- Bookworm Room – If ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise
- Joshuapundit – National Security Rears It’s Ugly Head
- Cheat-Seeking Missiles – Prop 8, Gay Marriage and the Spread of Islamofascism
- Soccer Dad – Wednesday morning quarterbacking
- The Colossus of Rhodey – The real worry about an Obama presidency
- The Razor – If Obama Wins… Part 3
- The Glittering Eye – Why the Financial Fixes Aren’t Working
- Submitted By: Bookworm Room – Marin Independent Journal – Many Marin Republicans are secretive about political persuasian
- Submitted By: Joshuapundit – Daniel Flynn/City Journal – The Ghosts In Grant Park
- Submitted By: Cheat-Seeking Missiles – Real Clear Politics/Cross Tabs Blog – Obama Victory the GOP’s Best Hope
- Submitted By: Soccer Dad – Mere Rhetoric – Israel: 70 Percent Of American Jews Ready To Say ‘We Didn’t Know’ When Obama Detonates US-Israel Alliance (Plus: They Most Definitely Know).
- Submitted By: The Colossus of Rhodey – Discriminations – The Obama Question
- Submitted By: The Razor – Old Picture of the Day – Change
- Submitted By: The Glittering Eye – Dean’s World – Choice