He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
Abraham, Martin and John – Dion
This week’s winning council entry, The Roots Of Slavery & The Races Hustlers’ Holy Grail – Reparations by Wolf Howling, which takes issue with those who, like Henry Louis Gates, seek reparations from for African Americans from the United States. Aside from the difficulty of assigning blame for slavery nearly 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Wolf Howling points out that slavery wasn’t uni-directional:
The bottom line, if slavery is, as Gates posits, an original sin that passes not only through the generations, but also among entire races, then it hangs around the necks of most people in the world today – including President Obama and Prof. Gates. Obviously that can’t be right. That doesn’t fit the Gate’s narrative at all.
This non-council winner was The Washington Monument by the Belmont Club (at Pajamas Media). The essay is a reflection on why politicians can’t “grok” the Tea Parties:
Yet politicians can’t see it. For perfectly natural reasons they fall into the habit of thinking everyone is a supplicant. It’s an understandable outcome of living in a world where someone is constantly asking them for something: photo opportunities, access to news releases, seats on Air Force One or Internet access. Nothing throws them for a loop more than something that doesn’t want anything they can bestow. The Tea Partiers already know the establishment is bankrupt. They don’t want to be the next Botox Queen, the next guest on Oprah or the man with Internet access on Air Force One; they only want their freedom and a chance to meet the crisis with common sense, if that’s not asking too much. It’s a novel idea which will take a little time for politicians to understand. But give them time and eventually someone will take credit for it. Tolkien understood both how power worked and its blindness.
Enjoy the winners and all of the fine writing brought to you courtesy of the Watcher’s Council!
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Wolf Howling -The Roots Of Slavery & The Races Hustlers’ Holy Grail – Reparations
- Second place with 2 votes – American Digest – The Circumnambulation of Queen Anne
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – Rhymes With Right – Doing My Part For Freedom Of Speech, Press, And Religion
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – The Razor – Socialism=Cannibalism
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Glittering Eye – The Arizona Immigration Law
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Provocateur – Get Ready for the Immigration Debate
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Bookworm Room – What if American blacks don’t want to join the club?
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Mere Rhetoric – Obama Defense Dept: We’re Not Going To Attack Iran, And If Israel Tries We Might Shoot Down Their Jets
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – Race conundrum in education (again)
Non Council Winners
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Wretchard/Pajamas Media – The Washington Monument Submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Doug Ross @ Journal - Irony-meter breaks: La Raza, MEChA and other racial separatist groups worry that law enforcement might use racial profiling to enforce laws Submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes - Red State - Stop the haters : FreedomWorks responds Submitted by Bookworm Room
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – Q&O – Open Borders, Immigration & Reality Submitted by Wolf Howling
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Discriminations – More Liberal Hypocrisy: Race “As One Of Many Factors…” Submitted by Colossus of Rhodey
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Walter Russell Mead - Go Home Mae West Submitted by American Digest
6 Responses to “The Council has Spoken 043010”