When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It’s a wonder
I can think at all
Kodachrome – Paul Simon
Please Note: I made an unfair assumption in my original post and have deleted that from the post. My apologies to Ms. Bradford.
I know it’s not high school, but there’s lots of crap going on in higher education, whether it’s excusing genocidal convictions as part of essential debate or believing that only certain folks have the necessary understanding to lead, our colleges are less devoted to education than in indoctrination. This is the common theme of this week’s Council votes.
On the Council side JoshuaPundit follows up on the story of the UCSD student who harrassed David Horowitz, Update On UCSD MSA Member Who Admitted She Wants A Second Holocaust. After being contacted by one of Jumanah Imad Albahri’s teachers and being assured that Albahri did not support genocide, he suggested that an unequivocal statement form Albahri condemning Hamas and Hezbollah would clarify the situation. The teacher then sent a link to Albahri’s blog, which demonstrates that her performance at the Horowitz lecture was the statement of her true beliefs. JoshuaPundit observes:
Today, I got an email from Professor Bradford directing me to this blogpost by Jumanah Imad Albahri which was supposed to clarify things.
Unfortunately it does, and it reveals an astonishing ignorance as well as a moral relativism that is simply indefensible. And no,she still refuses to condemn Hamas and Hezbollah. I suggest you read the whole thing ( at least while it’s still up), but I will go over the more relevant bits here:
Mr. Horowitz spent an hour indiscriminately attacking liberals, students, Arabs, Muslims, and Palestinians, utilizing verbiage that completely departed from an academic tone and delved into hate speech—especially labeling groups and individuals that support Palestinian rights “terrorists.”
In fact, the Palestinian movement has always made heroes out of those who deliberately target innocent people. That includes those who murder children…. and even murderers like Salakh Khalaf, who headed the Black September group that murdered 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics, and later tortured to death two American diplomats in the Sudan in 1973 on Arafat’s orders, Cleo Allen Noel and George Curtis Moore – and later had a street, several buildings and a child’s soccer field named after him by the Palestinian Authority.
On the non-council side the blogosphere’s top satirist, IowaHawk does a 2010 update of the famous quote:
“There are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers,” said the Nebraska Republican. “They are entitled to a little representation, aren’t they? We can’t have all Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos.”
But Supreme Court vacancies are only one area in public life where Harvard Assholes face a daunting glass ceiling. As hard as it is to imagine, anti-Harvard Asshole discrimination is even worse in America’s non-lifetime appointment job sector. Harvard graduates regularly find themselves all but blackballed from participation in some of our society’s most prestigious and highest-paying professions. One need only look at the curriculum vitae of America’s country music singers, NBA all-stars, and lingerie supermodels to realize that entire swaths of society have hung out a de facto ‘Harvard Assholes Need Not Apply’ sign. The message from the Old Boys network may be transmitted in silence, but it comes through loud and clear: “You’re good enough to run our FCC, Harvard boy, but not good enough for a hiphopper recording contract. We’ll let you design our GM bailout plans, but don’t even think about driving our Nascarmobiles.”
- First Place with 4 votes! – Joshuapundit – Update On UCSD MSA Member Who Admitted She Wants A Second Holocaust
- Second Place with 2 1/3 votes – Rhymes With Right - A Tale Of Two Controversies — UPDATED & BUMPED
- Third Place *t* with 1 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey - The U.N. continues to prove itself a sorry joke
- Third Place *t* with 1 vote – Bookworm Room - The “Howling Mob” theory of liberal politics
- Fourth Place with 2/3 vote – Mere Rhetoric – BBC Middle East Editor: Watching Obama Slap Around Israel Is “Enjoyable New Experience”
- First Place with 2 votes! – Iowahawk - Invisible Assholes Submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second Place with 1 2/3 votes – Doug Ross @ Journal - Illinois Melts Down: the Inevitable Result of Unchecked Democrat Rule Submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Third Place with 1 1/3 votes – The Counterterrorism Blog - New Terrorism: Five days in Manhattan Submitted on behalf of The Glittering Eye
- Fourth Place with 1 vote – Yourish - History for Arabs not Jews Submitted by The Razor
- Fifth Place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rabbi Dov Fischer – Carly Fiorina, Chuck DeVore, Israel, Islam and Jesse Jackson: Only One Reasonable Choice for California Republicans Submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Fifth Place *t* with 2/3 vote – Cato@Liberty – President Just Can’t Leave Them Kids Alone Submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Fifth Place *t* with 2/3 vote – Wake Up America! - Actors and Liberal Intellectuals Accuse Obama Of Crimes ‘Worse Than Bush’ Submitted by Right Truth
- Fifth Place *t* with 2/3 vote – Seraphic Secret – Jew Producer Submitted on behalf of Mere Rhetoric
- Sixth Place with 1/3 vote – Pajamas Media/Thomas Adams – Goldman Sachs and the Broken Windows Theory Submitted on behalf of The Provocateur