Then he destroyed a bomb factory, nobody was glad
The bombs were meant for him. He was supposed to feel bad
Neighborhood Bully – Bob Dylan
Getting away from my musings about pop music, this week’s video is apropos of both Bookworm Worm’s winning post as well as her non-council winning submission, the latter of which was decided by my tie breaking vote. To excerpt from Bookworm Room’s Israel hasn’t changed; the world has:
What I find so interesting is that Israel has not changed in the last 60 years. She is still a small, representative democracy surrounded by dozens of nations that are highly repressive theocratic dictatorships. Unlike the surrounding nations, she gives equal rights to people of different faiths, colors, creeds, and sexual orientation. (The surrounding nations, in stark contrast, kill and expel people of different faiths, colors, creeds, and sexual orientation, all the while maintaining a brutal war for dominance against the women in the midst.) Israel’s values, in other words, are completely synchronous with those ostensibly espoused by the Western nations that now, not only despise Israel, but that ally themselves with Islamic dictatorships that practice values completely antithetical to what were, until a few years ago, normative in the West.
. . .
What’s changed, obviously, is the West. Even though we ostensibly won the Cold War, insofar as we witnessed the collapse of the Soviet Bloc, it’s manifest that we also lost the Cold War, in that we lost our self-identity and internalized the values of the Soviet Bloc itself. As I pointed out above, there is absolutely nothing to distinguish the speech made by the Soviet’s UN ambassador in 1967 from the standard political talk against Israel that routinely emanates today in Europe and (sadly) in America’s Democratic party.
I don’t know if this is better or worse, but there is evidence that the world hasn’t changed much either.
A manifestation of this change was demonstrated last week in Oakland as labor unions joined forces with those attempting to boycott Israel as reported by Zombie, Radicals, Islamists and Longshoremen blockade Israeli ship in Oakland. There was, however, a happy ending here:
The protesters’ plan all along was to protest at the port prior to the arrival of the Zim Lines ship, to ensure that the shift of longshoremen who would be on duty when it did arrive would have already agreed not to do their jobs. But as reported in Israel National News and Gateway Pundit, the Israeli ship arrived several hours later than scheduled, and as things turned out, it was so late that it would not have been unloaded until Monday morning anyway. So the protesters ended up most likely having little or no effect on its actual timetable. Instead, an unrelated Chinese ship at the same berth had its unloading delayed, because the same longshoremen who didn’t cross the “picket line” could not work on it either.
It’s not known if the Zim ship’s late arrival was accidental or if it purposely idled a few hours off the coast to avoid a confrontation at the docks.
Which perhaps says something about the rationality of those who hate Israel.
- First place with 1 2/3 votes! – Bookworm Room – Israel hasn’t changed; the world has
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes - Joshuapundit – Barack Obama’s Oval Office Speech – The Fiction Cracks
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Glittering Eye – No, We’re Still Paying
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes - Rhymes with Right – When Teachers Become Self-Absorbed
- Third place with 2/3 vote - The Colossus of Rhodey – I wonder if the folks at Newsweek really wonder why their readership is dwindling
- Fourth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Right Truth – Banning Sharia Law
- Fourth place *t* with 1/3 vote - Snapped Shot – Efficiency: Man Denied Doctor Appointment… Because He’s Dead
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! * - Pajamas Media/Zombie - Radicals, Islamists and Longshoremen blockade Israeli ship in Oakland submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second place with 1 1/3 votes - LATMA – The Three Terrors submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Third place *t* with 1 vote - Jay Tea/Wizbang – The Scent Of Fear submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – Not PC - The schadenfreude of the postmodern president submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Six Meat Buffet - Why Has The Federal Government Declared War On The States? submitted by Snapped Shot
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Joanne Jacobs – The right way to assess teachers submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – National Affairs – Crisis Economics submitted by The Provocateur
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote – The Counterterrorism Blog - OPEN SOURCE INTELLIGENCE – An Open Discussion submitted by The Watcher