But I’m just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don’t let me be misunderstood
Don’t let me be misunderstood – The Animals
In his winning council post this week, Obama’s Lawsuit Against Arizona (Updated) Wolf Howling writes:
Invoking preemption in the present context is a dangerous game indeed. It is critically important to note that the Arizona law is nothing more than a codification of federal law as regards illegal aliens, with the only addition being instructions on when the police can pursue suspicions that a person may be an illegal alien. Thus the DOJ’s argument must be that any state laws predicated on the status of an individual as a citizen or an illegal alien are preempted by federal law.
Think about that for a moment. If the DOJ wins this lawsuit, only the federal government will be able to enforce laws based on illegal aliens.
Of course, as Wolf Howling observes, given that the federal government hasn’t and, likely, won’t do anything about illegal immigration, the lawsuit is an effort to maintain a sizable contingent of illegal aliens in this country.
In her winning non-council post this week about various attempts to hijack the international legal system in order to attack Israel, Standing down the hanging jury, Caroline Glick writes:
For generations Jews have clung to the belief that law is intrinsically good and if we follow the law the law will protect us. But this has never been more than a fool’s belief.
As we see today in the wholesale perversion of law in the service of Israel’s destruction in countries around the Western world, law is but a tool. Depending on who wields it, it can be a force for injustice just as easily as it can be a tool for pursuing justice.
In both cases we see a measure of vindictiveness against a state and a nation that is spurred by willfully misunderstanding each.
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Wolf Howling - Obama’s Lawsuit Against Arizona (Updated)
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Right Truth - A World Without Islam – Review
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – The Glittering Eye – Foundations of Sand
- Third place *t* with 1 vote - Bookworm Room – New country discovered at the Marin County Fair
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – Rhymes With Right – Obama #15? No Way!
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – The Provocateur – Mark Clements and Chicago’s Culture of Torture
- Fourth place with 2/3 vote – Joshuapundit – A Partisan Divide On Israel?
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote - Snapped Shot – D is for Diss
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Caroline Glick - Standing down the hanging jury submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes - Patterico’s Pontifications - Feinstein on Judicial Inexperience, Then and Now submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Zenpundit – Reality, Strategy and Afghanistan: Some Questions submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Israel Matzav – Who is orchestrating a US rapprochement with Hezbullah and Hamas? submitted by The Watcher
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – Stuart Schneiderman – The Hotness Gap submitted by The Provocateur
- Third place *t* with 1 vote - The Counterterrorism Blog – Two Major Middle East Terrorist Figures Die in their Safe Havens submitted on behalf of Wolf Howling
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - Common Sense Political Thought – Real, honest-to-God, spending cuts! submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Powerline – Had Enough “Hope and Change”? submitted by JoshuaPundit
2 Responses to “The Council has Spoken 070910”