Oh yes, I’m the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
The Great Pretender – The Platters
Reuters, the once great news service, has fallen on hard times lately. Our winning Council entry, Mere Rhetoric’s After Lebanon Border Ambush, Reuters First Out Of The Gate With Demonstrably False Anti-Israel Propaganda, shows how badly it’s fallen:
This was an out-and-out ambush either by Lebanese soldiers or Hezbollah soldiers dressed like Lebanese soldiers. It was pre-planned – you can tell as much by how the commanders were fired upon and not the trimming team – and there was even a photographer on hand. Reuters somehow got that picture, evaluated it, and came to exactly the wrong conclusion. The Israelis were on their side of the border, in a so-called enclave, exercising legitimate authority on their sovereign territory. Even the Lebanese have admitted as much in the past, though they don’t like it and complain about how it increases tensions or whatever.
The top two non-council entries were tied, and so, I was forced to make a difficult choice and awarded the win, this week, to The Winds of Change’s (Armed Liberal) Why We’re Just Flatly Screwed in Afghanistan:
Because at this point, it looks as though we’re going to keep paying a price in blood – and getting little in return – for key failures by our national and military leadership.
Those failures are:
* Failing to establish a clear Objective for the war – which is why the strategy for the war keeps spinning like a weathervane.
* Failing to check the rise of the administrative/bureaucratic military over the warrior military.
* Lying to the American people about the real nature of the war – trying to paint the war as ‘bloodless’ and ‘surgical’ when like any war it is anything but.
* Distrusting the American people by trying to keep them from being aware of and involved in the war and in the cause the war is being fought in the name of.
Now on to the winners:
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Mere Rhetoric - After Lebanon Border Ambush, Reuters First Out Of The Gate With Demonstrably False Anti-Israel Propaganda
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes - JoshuaPundit - Obama’s Latest Anti-Israel Tactic – Getting Others to Do the Dirty Work For Him
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Wolf Howling - What Direction Our Economy
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – The Colossus of Rhodey -The conclusion is: “Common Sense”
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Rhymes with Right - Sorry, Charlie — Obama Can’t Fix The Racial Climate He And His Supporters Have Created
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - Virginia Right! - Will Washington’s Failures Lead to Second American Revolution?
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – Bookworm Room - Anne Rice and neo-paganism
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – Snapped Shot – The Future of Photojournalism
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! – Winds of Change - Why We’re Just Flatly Screwed in Afghanistan submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – Seraphic Secret – Nazis To Open Museum Of Tolerance At Aushwitz submitted by Wolf Howling
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes - Yaacov Lozowick’s Ruminations - Fog of War, Foggy Thinking, Pure Malice submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – News Real Blog – Dr. Phyllis Chesler - What Happens to Women if We Leave Afghanistan? Time Magazine Gets it Wrong submitted by Right Truth
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Andrew Breitbart/Big Journalism – I Got My Correction Thanks to the The New York Times — Now Who’s Next? submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – DaTechguy’s Blog – If professor Bambridge is embarassed to be a conservative these days… submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – StandWithUs (You Tube) – Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions submitted by Bookworm Room