There’s a snapshot of that day. I arrived home early from work. My wife and newborn daughter were sitting out front on the sun drenched lawn on a beautiful, mild autumn day. That snapshot was the picture of serenity and joy.
But it was also a facade.
I left work early that day to be with my wife. But it was because she knew that the World Trade Center was on fire (that’s all she knew when she called) me and no one could reach her brother. (Cell phones were overloaded that day in the New York area.) My brother-in-law – along with the rest of his company – escaped from the 51st floor of the north tower. But we didn’t know that. Though my mother-in-law got through to him after he exited the building, no one could ascertain his whereabouts again until he had finally gotten back to New Jersey. I came home to calm my wife.
There are two lines from Alan Jackson’s “Where were you when the world stopped turning” that stick with me.
Driving down some cold interstate
That day, I95 was strangely empty. The trip home seemed surreal. I was listening to the news reports. I heard when one tower crashed. I think I was home before the second did.
The heroes who died just doing what they do
My brother-in-law said that the stairwells were extremely hot. The firemen inside the towers smashed open vending machines to give drinks to the people fleeing the buildings. He got a drink from a firefighter on (about) the 20th floor. Having shepherded hundreds to safety, 45 minutes or so later, that hero was dead.
If there was one good thing to come out of that day, it was the 72 Virginians joke. Here at the Watcher’s Council we have only two Virginians and they are our most recent additions. Now Snapped Shot has joined VA Right as our two most most recent council winners.
Snapped Shot observes in his brilliantly captioned Happy Al Quds Day! photo essay that:
… you can’t spell “Jerusalem” without USA, baby!
I can’t do it justice, so just click on over to our winner.
For the third time since taking over as Watcher, Iowahawk has won. This week it’s Barack, Can we Talk?, Iowahawk ’s portrayal of a breakup note from the American people to Barack Obama.
Come… come on Barack, please don’t be that way. And don’t act so surprised, I mean you must have at least seen some of the approval rating signs. Tea Party? No, Tea Party didn’t put me up to this. Yeah, sure I’ve see him around the neighborhood. I mean, what am I supposed to do while you’re off vacationing with your friends? Sit around this place without a job and watch MSNBC? No, it’s platonic. So far. And for your information, Tea isn’t the retarded Nazi racist loser your friends are always painting him to be. And guess what? He listens to me and seems to like me for what I am, and doesn’t expect me to wear that stupid complicated Scandinavian nurse outfit like you gave me for Christmas. By the way, the charge card bill from Frederick’s of Stockholm just arrived yesterday. $1 trillion, Barack? Really?
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Snapped Shot -Happy Al-Quds Day!
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Rhymes With Right – More On The Quran Burning Controversy
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes - Mere Rhetoric – TIME: “Israelis Too Busy Making Money And Partying On Stolen Arab Land To Make Peace”
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes - Bookworm Room - I know a shallow intellect when I see it — or why Obama’s carpet and Jan Brewer’s brain freeze are two sides of the same coin
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote - Joshuapundit – Lies, Islamic Apologists And A Synagogue In Lebanon
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Razor - The Jewish Bin Laden
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Right Truth – Burning the Koran (Quran)
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -The Colossus of Rhodey – Scare Tactics
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Wolf Howling – Politicizing Science at U.C. Berkeley
Non – Council Winners
- First place with 3 votes! – Iowahawk - Barack, Can we Talk? submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – James Rummel/Chicago Boyz – Sounding The Depths submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – Rubin Reports – A totally different approach on “Ground Zero Mosque” controversy submitted on behalf of Wolf Howling
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - Gates of Vienna – Fear of the Nazi Street submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - John Podhoretz/Commentary – Queen Esther Goes to Alaska submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - Yourish.com - Comparing condemnations submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – Uncoverage – Obama Administration Begins the “Grab” for Private Retirement Accounts submitted by VA Right
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – Points and Figures - George Soros submitted by The Razor