This week, a number of Council members saw fit to weigh in on President Obama’s blithely taking us into a war based on a UN resolution without even consulting Congress. This week’s winner, The Razor, took a jaundiced but quite accurate look at the end results of our interventions in the Muslim world in his fine piece, Unforeseen Consequences of American Foreign Policy:
Libya is yet another intervention in a long series that have fostered unforeseen and unintended consequences for American policy.
Muslims never allow any good deed to go unpunished. In 1982 President Reagan orders the Marines into Lebanon in order to protect the Palestinians from the advancing Israelis. Hezballah showed its gratitude by detonating two suicide truck bombs that killed 241 American Marines and 58 French soldiers. Beginning with the Carter administration the US backed the Mujahadin against the Soviets in Afghanistan, thereby educating and arming an entire generation of Muslims who went on to attack American and Western interests throughout the 1990s and 2000s – including Osama Bin Laden. In 1991 we stopped Saddam Hussein from invading Saudi Arabia. The Saudis rewarded our protection by financing al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups bent on the destruction of western civilization.
We feed starving Somalis and rescue Pakistani peacekeepers, and the bodies of our soldiers get dragged through the streets of Mogadishu (and Bin Laden learns from our failure). We protect Bosnians and Kosavar Albanians (Muslims) from slaughter at the hands of Russian-backed Serbs, and one shoots and kills two unarmed soldiers in gratitude. American individuals and corporations donated $1.5 billion to the relief effort after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami devastated parts of Indonesia. That hasn’t stopped Indonesians from protesting against the United States and supporting the Taliban and al-Qaeda with cash and recruits. And when we get airliners slammed into the Twin Towers there are celebrations throughout the Muslim world (including by the precious pets of liberals, the Palestinians).
Had we not supported the Mujahadin, would Afghanistan be better off today? Would the United States? It’s hard to imagine not. The Soviets had the Mujahadin on the ropes, but success there would not have prevented the empire’s collapse a few years later.
241 Marines would be alive today if we had simply allowed the Israelis to clean the PLO out of Lebanon. It’s quiet possible that the Lebanese and even the Palestinians themselves would have benefited by a PLO that had been wiped out. Perhaps a new organization would have formed to represent them, one less corrupt and steeped in 1960s socialism.
In our Non-Council Category this week, our winner was a superb post by Lee Stranahan in the The Huffington Post, Shame: Ignoring Death Threats to Wisconsin Politicians Is Media Bias.
Stranahan is a Lefty who has recently come over from the Dark Side and he’s written a number of superb pieces pointing out the hypocrisy and malignant narcissism of her erstwhile ideological stablemates. This is a particularly good one.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes! The Razor –-Unforeseen Consequences of American Foreign Policy
- Second place with 2 votes – New Zeal-Obama-Linked Socialists Encourage Spread of Militant Protests
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD-Operation Odyssey Dawn
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Joshuapundit-Libya: War By UN Diktat
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Simply Jews-Colonel Gaddafi and UN: the love story
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – The Noisy Room – Welcoming Our New Masters
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Right Truth – Why Not Iran?
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Bookworm Room – Defining terms so that they align with values
- Sixth Place with 2/3 vote – The political Commentator – Note to Obama: If you want to be treated like a superpower then act like a superpower
- Seventh place with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye-Uncertainty
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Lee Stranahan/The Huffington Post - Shame: Ignoring Death Threats to Wisconsin Politicians Is Media Bias submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Sarah Palin – The $4-Per-Gallon President submitted byJoshuapundit
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 vote -Pajamas Media/Clayton E. Cramer – Disturbing Similarities Between the Fall of Rome and Today’s America submitted by The Noisy Room
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 vote -Foreign Policy/Steven Walt – Return of the Neocon-Liberal Alliance submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - Wired – Danger Room – Allies Move from Defense to Offense in Libya submitted by Right Truth
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote - RBO – Lying Liars: Media Access Project submitted by New Zeal
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Elder of Ziyon – Wikileaks: How the Muslims took over the UNHRC submitted by Simply Jews
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Texas Watchdog – Texas state Sen. Eddie Lucio’s proposed soda tax 6 times the tax on same amount of beer submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Uncoverage – “Islamophobia” Myth: True Victims of Religious Persecution are Christians and Jews submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Yid With Lid – Is the “Obama Doctrine” a Threat to Israel? submitted by VA Right
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Gizmodo – The Tragic Story of a Russian Cosmonaut Who Was Sent into Space Knowing He Would Die submitted by Snapped Shot
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – “Why are you apologizing all the time?” submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!