The winner this week, The Right Planet’s excellent I Don’t Believe In Defeat is aptly named,because it concerns the mindset and the tactics used in times of conflict. Here’s a slice:
A little while back I was on Twitter and started to express my frustration with something I’ve seen too much over my lifetime; and it’s only gotten worse, in my opinion. I’m referring to what I would call a “spirit of defeatism.”
I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve listened to people say they believe the whole game is rigged, so to speak. The “man” is in total control and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. In the end, according to the defeatists, we’re just cogs in a giant machine being controlled by mysterious dark forces that we have no control over; but they have total control over us, as the story goes; we are simply helpless victims who are powerless to do anything about it: “It’s just how it is.”
This sort of defeatism has never sat well with me, because at the end of the day–even if it were all true, and it may be, for all I know–it’s an excuse to do absolutely nothing about anything. Why should one waste any energy trying to change something for the better that cannot be changed?
But I can’t help, at times, to feel the frustration, anger, and even downright demoralization, of living in a world where so much evil does exist. I always agreed with Ephesians 6:10 in the Bible: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
I don’t believe in defeat, even though defeat may be a part of life, even our own–which brings me to the ancient military philosopher Sun Tzu and his view of defeat. Years ago I read the book The Art of War by Sun Tzu. The book left a big impression on me. It is not a lengthy work. One might argue it’s not really a book per se.
Although Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War, it really is a collection of maxims from many sources throughout history that Sun Tzu collected and organized, along with his own maxims on war. I quickly discovered it’s not a book you read just once and put down; it’s really a reference you return to over and over again. People refer to the Bible regularly as a reference, and often see something new in it each time they read it. Sun Tzu’s treatise is much the same way; it could be thought of as the bible on warfare.
One day, not too long ago, following a day of frustration with certain individuals who I would say are seriously afflicted with the cancer of defeatism, I got on Twitter and sent out the following Tweet:
What’s interesting is who replied. It wasn’t just anybody; it was Thomas Huyne. At first, I wasn’t sure who he was, but for some reason his name and face just rang a bell. And then I thought about it a little more and wondered if I had seen him interviewed somewhere, or if it was his name that I recognized. The only thing I could think of was a rare documentary on Sun Tzu and The Art of War I saw on the History Channel a while back. So I Tweeted Mr. Huyne and asked him if he had anything to do with the documentary. Huyne responded by saying, yes, indeed, he was one of the primary consultants for the History Channel’s documentary on The Art of War.
Much more at the link
In our Non-Council category,the winner was Council alumni David Gerstmanfrom Le.gal In.sur.rec.tion with Al Qaeda is on the Run …to Everywhere submitted by Liberty’s Spirit.
David took on President Obama’s famous statement about al-Qaeda being ‘on the run’ and gave it a pretty vicious going over..a great read.
OK, here are this weeks’ full results. Both The Razor and The Mellow Jihadi were unable to vote this week, but neither was subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! The Right Planet – I Don’t Believe In Defeat
- Second place with 3 1/3 votes –Joshuapundit–“American Betrayal”.. A Review
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes –The Noisy Room – Inside the Empire of Horror
- Fourth place with 1 vote – Bookworm Room – To sell their ideas, conservatives must first re-train Americans to recognize their humanity
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – “Horrible person”
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Nice Deb – ObamaCare Whistleblower: I was Told IRS Harassment ‘Came From The Top’ (Audio)
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Rhymes With Right – A Dozen Candidates In Congressional District 36 GOP Primary
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – VA Right! – Snowden Revisited: Hero or Zero Now?
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Simply Jews – Obama’s handshake with Raul Castro: the alternatives
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Mellow Jihadi – Fargham, Iranian space monkey (& friends)
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Political Commentator – The Ghost of Obamacare Yet to Come: UK healthcare in shambles!
- First place with 2 votes! – David Gerstman/Le.gal In.sur.rec.tion – Al Qaeda is on the Run …to Everywhere submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Martin In The Margins – Understanding the new Christian anti-Zionism: Part 1 submitted by Simply Jews
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Bob Tisdale/Watts Up With That? – Open Letter to the Executive Producers of YEARS of LIVING DANGEROUSLY submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Phyllis Chessler –Beneath the burqa — a bruised and badly beaten teenager submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –David P. Goldman/ PJ Media – It’s About the Settlements, Stupid submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –David J. Shestokas – Natural Law and the Legitimate Authority of the United States submitted by The Right Planet
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –War Is Boring – ‘Ender’s Game’ and Maneuver Warfare submitted by Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – House Of Marathon – Courting a Nemesis Out of Necessity: An Israeli-Saudi Alliance submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –David Bernstein/Volokh COnspiracy – Is Refusing to Provide Commercial Services for a Circumcision Discrimination against Jews? submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –National Journal– Politics trumped policy, truth for Obama’s reelect submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Allen West –Maybe we need Michelle “Death Stare” Obama to negotiate with Iran submitted by The Noisy Room
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Mises Institute –Starvation and Military Keynesianism: Lessons from Nazi Germany submitted by The Political Commentator
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Althouse –“National Security Agency officials are considering a controversial amnesty that would return Edward Snowden to the United States…” submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Cato @ Liberty – The Constitution Still Applies on College Campuses submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Truth Revolt –Unions Paid MSNBC’s Schultz $177,000 in 2012, $75,000 in 2013 submitted by Nice Deb
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council and their invited guests take apart one of the provocative issues of the day and weigh in…don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us Twitter..’cause we’re cool like that!