Alea iacta est…the Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and we have the results for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
The one who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever utters slander is a fool.– Proverbs 10:18
This week’s winner, The Noisy Room’s The Silencing of the Ducks is her sharp, well written examination of the recent A&E/Duck Dynasty controversy and what it reveals about the Angry Left’s attempt at thought control and the war on America’s culture…including traditional Christianity and the right to profess its values. Here’s a slice:
I did not start viewing Duck Dynasty until a few months ago. It has since become our favorite show and we can’t get enough of it. Christian values, real people, guns and hunting – what’s not to love? But it would seem that being a Christian and espousing your beliefs in America is now becoming ever more dangerous. As RedState pointed out, ultimately you will care and you will have to take a stand and take sides.
Phil Robertson, the patriarch of Duck Dynasty, just did a GQ interview where he stated his Christian beliefs, which included those concerning Gays. This whole blowup is not so much about the Gay issue, but far more about the Constitution and the First Amendment. In the interview, Phil was asked if he thought homosexuality was sinful:
“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he told GQ, before paraphrasing the Bible in Corinthians. “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”
For telling the truth and stating what he personally believed, A&E put him on indefinite hiatus. They fired him. I would be very surprised if the family did not tell A&E to stuff it. They managed to take THE most popular rated show ever and scuttle it. Phil had told A&E earlier that if they insisted he remove God or guns from his show, they were through:
On May 9, Greensboro, NC country station 93.1 The Wolf reported that after receiving complaints over prayers to God and the frequent use of guns on air, Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson said, “God and guns are part of our everyday lives [and] to remove either of them from the show is unacceptable.”
Sarah Palin came to Phil’s defense with the following quote:
Free speech is an endangered species. Those “intolerants” hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.
She’s right and this will backfire on A&E and all the others out there that are anti-Christian. Phil Robertson just became a warrior for God and the Constitution and I am sure he is up to the task. An attack on one Christian, is an attack on all of us. Time to draw our line in the Marxist sand.
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Victor Davis Hanson with Pajama Boy Nation submitted by Joshuapundit. It’s an examination of the metrosexual Pajama Boy used as a shill fro ObamaCare and what it says about the Left and how they see the country. This opening paragraphs are a nice taste:
Will Kane of High Noon Pajama Boy wasn’t. Somehow we as a nation went from the iconic Marlboro Man to Pajama Boy — from the noble individual with a bad habit to the ignoble without a good habit — without a blink in between.
There are lots of revolting things in the Pajama Boy ad. After all, how can you top all at once a nerdy-looking child-man dressed in infantile pajamas while cradling a cup of hot chocolate with the smug assurance that he is running your life more than you his?
Do read it.
OK, so here are this week’s full results. Both the Mellow Jihadi and VA Right were unable to vote this week,but neither was subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 2 1/3 votes! –The Noisy Room – The Silencing of the Ducks
- Second place with 2 votes –Bookworm Room – The Obama Christmas card reveals the zero at the center of our government
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –The Right Planet – U.S. Army Tells Soldiers Not to Say ‘Christmas’
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Joshuapundit–Crash And Burn – Obama Waives Individual Mandate On ObamaCare
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Liberty’s Spirit – Fat-Shaming, Body Image and a Culture of Dehumanization
- Fourth place with 1 vote – Simply Jews – Sweden’s conflictual relationship with issues of tolerance
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Nice Deb – Young Invincibles Insulted By ObamaCare Ads (Video)
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Mellow Jihadi – Israel & Iran. Good against Evil…
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Political Commentator – US Navy and cancer: Fukushima has been extremely hazardous to their health!
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Killing Our Enemies On Christmas Day Since 1776
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Razor – Would a Different Software Methodology Have Saved Obamacare?
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – May I Point Out That Phil Robertson Was Indisputably Right About One Thing?
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Victor Davis Hanson- Pajama Boy Nation submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – Pressure Points – The Un-American Studies Association submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – Bret Stephens/WSJ – Of Jane Fonda and Pope Francis submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – Larry Correia/Monster Hunter Nation –Angsty Emo Outrage and Ducks submitted by The Noisy Room
- Third place with 1 vote – John O’Sullivan/NRO – The New Blacklist submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place with 2/3 vote–Nick Nipclose – Cyber-libertarians for Child Pornography submitted by Simply Jews
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Washington Free Beacon –A Year of Inspiring Democratic Quotes submitted by Nice Deb
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Big Jolly Politics – Christopher Busby, HCRP Precinct Chair submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Buckhorn Road – Freedom Died On This Day 100 Years Ago submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The People’s Cube –Duck Dynasty’s Robertson Angers Alcoholics, Philanderers submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Arnold Kling – Obama Repeals Obamacare submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Cato@Liberty – It’s a Very Merry Christmas for Washington Insiders submitted by The Watcher
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council and their invited special guests take apart one of the provocative issues of the day with short takes and weigh in…don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter…..’cause we’re cool like that!