The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
A world that did not lift a finger when Hitler was wiping out six million Jewish men, women, and children is now saying that the Jewish state of Israel will not survive if it does not come to terms with the Arabs. My feeling is that no one in this universe has the right and the competence to tell Israel what it has to do in order to survive. On the contrary, it is Israel that can tell us what to do. It can tell us that we shall not survive if we do not cultivate and celebrate courage, if we coddle traitors and deserters, bargain with terrorists, court enemies, and scorn friends.” – Eric Hoffer, Before The Sabbath, 1974.
“The only thing chicken about Israel is their soup.”
– Bob Hope
“I never thought I’d live to see the day that an American administration would denounce the state of Israel for rebuilding Jerusalem.” – Rep. Mike Pence
As a Jew, it is my historic responsibility to defend the Jewish people. I feel this responsibility for the survival of the Jewish people. We’re not going to accept any decision by anybody else about security of the State of Israel. It is our role and only our role.– Ariel Sharon
A few days ago, there was an article published by The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg that was fairly revealing about the current state of the relationship between the Obama Administration and Israel. In this week’s winner, Joshuapundit–Chickensh*t , I had a few things to say about that situation, as well as the real story about how it came about. Here’s a slice:
That quaint kid’s playground epithet is the money quote from an article entitled “The Crisis in U.S.-Israel Relations Is Officially Here,” posted by Jeffrey Goldberg in The Atlantic.
It’s what Goldberg reports that an anonymous senior Obama administration official called Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu in a conversation Goldberg had with him. And in the article, Goldberg also mentions that President Obama “in interviews with me, has alluded to Netanyahu’s lack of political courage.”
Now, for all that Jeffrey Goldberg has consistently been a fairly servile apologist for the president and the Obama Administration when it comes to Israel, he’s not entirely wrong that Netanyahu has been guilty of a lack of courage in some instances. But that lack of courage is from an entirely different direction than Goldberg supposes.
Contrary to the tile of Jeffrey Goldberg’s piece, the crisis in US-Israel relations started from the moment Barack Hussein Obama was elected president. Where Netanyahu and certain other Israeli leaders have exhibited a lack of courage is in trying desperately to deny and fend it off, and make believe it wasn’t happening.
Barack Obama started his presidency by stating openly (once he was safely elected) that he wanted to create daylight between the U.S. and Israel, and he has been doing so ever since.
Is Jeffrey Goldberg suffering from amnesia? Do we really need to revisit the climate that’s been created between the US and Israel since Barack Obama took over as president? His repudiation of the agreements made with Israel by President Bush that convinced Israeli PM Ariel Sharon to go ahead with the Gaza disengagement, claiming they never existed? His call for Israel to re-divide Jerusalem and retreat to indefensible borders? His telling Iran that Israel was on its own in the event of any hostilities? His insisting that Israel has no right to Jewish religious sites? His repeated statements that the Palestinians need not recognize Israel as a Jewish State and his continued funding of the Palestinian Authority in spite of their continued support and incitement for terrorism against Israeli civilians? His instituting what amounted to a de facto arms embargo for six months during the early part of his first term? His approval and funding of the new Hamas/Fatah entity which includes a genocidal terrorist group? The list could go on for quite some time.
Would any other sovereign nation put up with constant temper tantrums from a foreign government over building homes in its own capital? With pressure to release convicted murderers from its jails as a ‘gesture for peace?’ With mysterious holdups for bureaucratic ‘review’ of badly needed military supplies in the middle of a war? With deliberately insulting treatment of its elected leader by the president of what was supposed to be a closely allied government?
While Netanyahu and other Israeli leaders have sometimes made statements that have revealed a lack of discretion,it’s been in reaction to a long climate of outright hostility from the White House that makes even former President Carter’s tenure look benign by comparison. Jeffrey Goldberg might wish to forget it, but it was the overt actions and attitude from this president and his administration towards Israel and Netanyahu that came first and poisoned the well.
The Israelis never figured on a president getting elected in America who had an animus towards Israel, and their futile attempts to muddle through and somehow make the relationship work only made President Obama more insistent, unreasonable and demanding.
And speaking of political courage, let’s take a good look at what gave Barack Obama the license to act out this way towards Israel. It was America’s Jews on the Left – like Jeffrey Goldberg.
Remember this,from back in 2008? (courtesy of Omri Ceren):
So, all you rumor-mongering, fever-headed Jewish conspiracists: Support McCain, if you want, and there are credible reasons for doing so, but stop smearing Obama in the face of overwhelming evidence that the man is a great friend of Jews and of Israel. After a point, it becomes obvious that what you fear is not Israel’s destruction, but the presence of an African-American in the White House. And that’s disgusting.
Obama’s background and his feelings about Israel were obvious to anyone whom bothered to look at him honestly. President Barack Obama has had close associations with Israel haters and in some cases open anti-semites his entire life. Frank Marshall Davis, Edward Said, Rashid al-Khalidi, Khalid al-Mansour, Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, and Al Sharpton and others like them all figure or have figured prominently in his background.
So how did this all slip by?
What happened is that many on the Left and those in media simply didn’t want to know, especially Jews. They made a clear decision that voting Democrat and embracing their Leftist politics meant more to them than supporting their brothers and sisters in Israel. It was this hideous betrayal that enabled President Obama to act out and make support for Israel as an ally a partisan issue once he was elected. A significant number of American Jews voted Democrat in 2008 and found solace in candidate Obama telling them what they wanted to hear, in political groups the George Soros financed J-Street,and the NJDC, and in the bogus mantra of ‘the two state solution’. It enabled President Obama to neuter AIPAC, as well as other Jewish groups. With a few honorable exceptions, they all fell in line with the New Order. And even after they had ample evidence of President Obama’s attitude towards Israel during his first term, most of them voted for him again.
And this backing of Obama and his agenda led,in case no one’s noticed, not only to the increased intransigence of Abbas and Fatah but to the increased hostility towards Jews and Israel in places like the EU and and a rising climate of Jew hatred in places like university campuses, again with some rare exceptions. The backing of the majority of America’s Jews for Obama and their tolerance for his policies was and is the protective cover and the impetus for all of it.
More at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Sultan Knish –The Left’s Worst Crime in the Middle East submitted by The Noisy Room. The crime he’s talking about? Ah, you’ll have to read it to find out, and read it you should, because the Sultan is definitely on target with this one.
Here are this week’s full results.
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!–Joshuapundit–Chickensh*t
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes –The Right Planet – No Gaslighting for Ottawa
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Simply Jews – Why we must talk to ISIS: please do tell…
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – The Ties That Bind Michael Bloomberg, Qatar and Radical Islam
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Independent Sentinel – Drudge Beware: FEC Joins Attacks on Free Speech of Conservatives
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Nice Deb – Why Does CNN host Carol Costello Still Have A Job?
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – 2014 Senate Polls are All Skewed Up
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Bookworm Room – The American college application process reveals a bias against paid work
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – More Proof That Wendy Davis Has No Shame
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Sultan Knish –The Left’s Worst Crime in the Middle East submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place *t* with 2 votes – Rebelpundit –Chicago Activists Unchained, Destroy Black Leadership submitted by Nice Deb
- Second place *t* with 2 votes – Seraphic Secret – The Redefinition of Marriage is Not About Marriage submitted by The Watcher
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes –The Other McCain – Never Forget Joe McCarthy Was Right submitted by The Right Planet
- Fourth place with 1 vote –The Contentious Centrist – The strange case of Obama’s problem with words submitted by Simply Jews
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –David Adesnik/Weekly Standard – Rand Paul’s Contradictory Foreign Policy submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Clark Bianco/Popehat – The Three Stages of Gamer Gate submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Andrew Michta/The American Interest – Europe’s Moment of Blinding Strategic Clarity submitted by The Razor
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Ian Tuttle/NRO – South Texas Democrats Leave Wendy Davis Off Voter Guidesubmitted by Rhymes with Right
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Clarice Feldman/American Thinker–Serfin’ USA submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Victor Davis Hanson – Crimes of Exactly What? submitted by Joshuapundit
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.
5 Responses to “The Council Has Spoken!! Watcher’s Council Results”