“Treason is a strong word, but not too strong to characterize the situation in which the Senate is the eager, resourceful, and indefatigable agent of interests as hostile to the American people as any invading army could be.” – 1906, David Graham Phillips, The Treason of the Senate
It was a little over 100 years ago that muckrakers took on corruption in government with scandalous exposes and sensational diatribes that championed the regular guy. The power of the pen became a mighty weapon in the fight against corrupt politicians that were beholden to special interests.
It is my sad duty to report that they failed. I am not sure which is worse, that today’s Senate is repeating the treasonous ways of the past or that the mainstream media is so corrupt and inept that not one of these institutional lackeys for President Obama can honestly report on the pile of crap that is being marketed as a stimulus bill.
Suddenly the very thought of scrutiny is considered near treasonous, as if any differing opinion or proper analysis of the bill itself is unpatriotic. It is simply considered wrong to ask. So they don’t.
This week we witnessed President Obama giving specially targeted stump speeches in Florida and Indiana to round up support for his plan to stimulate the economy. The press nearly applauded in support when a college kid asked the President how he plans to force private companies like McDonalds to increase benefits for employees that have worked there a long time (in this case 4 years). The press was also complicit in the scheme to solicit support by repeating without question a video clip of a lady that took the mic and begged and cried for a new home, her own kitchen, a bathroom and more than a car in her once in a lifetime chance to ask the President a direct question. That clip is still making the rounds today, two days after the staged event. It makes one embarrassed to be an American.
Please enjoy this week’s submissions.
- Bookworm Room - Economic incest
- Joshuapundit - “60 Minutes” Libels Jews And Israel
- The Provocateur - ACORN and Alinsky Rule #13
- Rhymes With Right - MSNBC Host Calls For Gagging, Deporting, GOP Dissenter
- The Razor - Spending Bill: $200,000 per job
- Cheat-Seeking Missiles - Fair Treatment of Prisoners
- The Glittering Eye - Why What, When, and How Matters in a Stimulus Package
- The Colossus of Rhodey - “Hate speech” definition expanding again
- Right Truth - Battle for the soul of America
- Soccer Dad - Voting for war
- Mere Rhetoric - Austrian Jews Too Terrified To List Their Children As Jewish (Plus: Europe Reaches An Anti-Jewish Tipping Point)
- Submitted By: Bookworm Room – American Thinker - Change: The First Three Weeks
- Submitted By: Joshuapundit – Nat Hentoff/Cato Institute - Th eCost Of Criticizing Jihadists
- Submitted By: The Provocateur – CNBC - Why Markets Don’t Like the Bailout
- Submitted By: Rhymes With Right – Debbie Schlussel - What Would Lincoln Do?: Celebrating Eternal Welfare Queen John Dingell; Anti-Israel Rep. Doesn’t Live Up to the Daddy My Grandpa Knew
- Submitted By: The Razor – Roadsassy - Truth Be Told: Calling a Spade a Spade
- Submitted By: Cheat-Seeking Missiles – TCS Daily - Multiplier Madness
- Submitted By: The Glittering Eye – Norm Geras - One-Eyed in Gaza
- Submitted By: The Colossus of Rhodey – Reason.com - The Next Catastrophe
- Submitted By: Right Truth – Chesler Chronicles at Pajamas Media - Conventional versus Non-Conventional Warfare and Why Israel Did Not Lose in Gaza
- Submitted By: Soccer Dad – Israel Matzav - Clenching Israel’s Fists
- Submitted By: Mere Rhetoric – Augean Stables - Time Magazine and Palestinian Sources: On the Origins of Modern Blood Libels