Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere, and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
Less than 30 days to go before an election that will change the country for good or ill. Less than 30 days to see whether America chooses to reclaim it’s greatness or wallow in misery and dependency. Less than 30 days.
This Thursday, we’re going to see a perfect example of the choice at hand when Republican VP nominee Paul Ryan steps into the arena against incumbent VP Joe Biden.
On the one hand, a young heir to Reagan’s Revolution, on the other, a symbol of everything wrong with Washington and our politics – a lifelong politician, an entrenched wart on the body politic who’s been wrong on almost every major public question, a fixer and an enabler of the worst sort of crony politics.
The pressure on Ryan will be intense. It’s his first time debating on the national stage, and after last week’s debacle by the president against Mitt Romney, the compliant Obama Media will be looking for any excuse, even a single slip to zero in on and declare Biden the winner.
On the other hand, Joe Biden can mouth the most ridiculous and ignorant statements and wallow in gaffes and if they’re even mentioned by most of the media, it will be with an indulgent chuckle and an ‘oh, that’s just Joe.’
The moderator, ABC’s Martha Raddatz, is a left leaning Democrat who will be under intense pressure from her peers to assist Biden and ‘fact check and challenge Ryan’ in order to avoid the beat down Jim Lehrer received after the first presidential debate for behaving like a moderator instead of an ally to the president.
Yet with all that, my money’s on the rookie.Because not only does he have the smarts and the talent, he has facts and the tide of history on his side, as he shows here:
Fewer people will likely watch this debate than the one last week in Denver between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, but this one is worth paying attention to because of what it symbolizes for America’s future…a choice between a chance at redemption and a move towards our Founder’s principles versus a further wallowing along a corrupt and discredited path.
We’ll know in about a month which future we’ve chosen.
This week’s contest is dedicated to Paul Ryan..and to America’s future.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address ( which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then just return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members. while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, without further ado, let’s see what we have this week….
- The Noisy Room – Spooks in the Machine Speak Up
- Simply Jews – Greta Berlin’s defense by Larry Derfner
- The Colossus of Rhodey – What’ll happen: No care about content; just worry about ‘timing,’ ‘racism,’ etc
- Joshuapundit-Why Obama Got His Clock Cleaned Last Night
- The Political Commentator – The cover-up is almost always worse than the crime unless…
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Hail Columbia! Did Mohammedism drive Europe to seek the Western Hemisphere?
- Bookworm Room – The girl’s guide to visiting the USS Makin Island
- Gay Patriot – Obama upset that he no longer gets to define Mitt Romney
- VA Right! - With 4 Weeks to Go, Pollsters Move to More Honest Models and Romney Takes the RCP Lead – Maybe!
- The Right Planet – Debating The Debate
- The Glittering Eye -Deflating The Bubble
- Rhymes With Right – A Teacher Who Needs Firing In Philly
- The Razor – Democrats Should Watch What They Wish For
- The Mellow Jihadi – Somali Community Organizing Comes to Maine
- The Independent Sentinel – Obama’s Narcissism Caused Him to Foil His Own Debate Performance
- The Pirate’s Cove – State Department To Benghazi Security: “Hey, Stop Asking For Help”
- Against All Enemies – Turkey Authorizes Military Strikes Into Syria
- Mark Steyn –Will Big Bird Ever Leave The Government Nest? submitted by The Noisy Room
- Monkey In The Middle – Muslim Persecution of Christians: August, 2012 submitted by Simply Jews
- Natural Born Conservative – U.S. Jobs Deficit Improves by 1,000 in September submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- American Digest – American Perversions: The Not-So-Great Generation and the Vision That Dare Not Speak Its Name submitted by Joshuapundit
- Kathleen Lynch/Christian News Wire -
Muslims Offended–Soldier’s Career Destroyed–Official Army Records Show Loss to Nation submitted by The Political Commentator
- Pressure Points – Aid to Egypt: Whats the Rush? submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Iowahawk-White House Scientists Struggle to Contain Outbreak of Scrutonium submitted by Bookworm Room
- The Other McCain -Liberals Beginning to Realize They’ve Overestimated Obamas Popularity? submitted by Gay Patriot
- The Mental Recession – Bombshell: ABC Reports There Were No Protests Outside Libya Consulate Prior to Attack submitted by VA Right!
- The Daily Beast – The Illegal Donor Loophole submitted by The Right Planet
- Michael J. Totten – The Most Overrated Intellectual In The World submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Big Jolly Politics – True the Vote: interstate voter fraud findings submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Via Meadia –Wall Street Occupies Itself submitted by The Razor
- From Where I Sit –Eco-Science is confusing submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- The Passing Parade – News of the day submitted by The Watcher
- Victor Davis Hanson – Anatomy of a Disastrous Debate Performance submitted by The Watcher