Well, the landslide brought me down
Landslide – Fleetwood Mac
The GOP majority of 1995-2007 never had more than 231 seats. Republicans are poised to coast past that tonight.
“Four years ago Republicans controlled just 22 governorships. The fact that we’ve already reached a majority tonight is a testimony to the four-year plan our governors and staff developed and executed,” said RGA Chairman Haley Barbour. “Any other committee would be happy securing the majority because it is a major accomplishment, but we are hoping for more because Republican governors are so important to the future of our Party, and more importantly, America.”
The House currently has 255 Democrats and 178 Republicans. The new reality will be a Republican majority of at at least 230, and a Democratic minority in the low 200’s, and possibly below 200.
The GOP House gains were the biggest swing for either party since 1948, when Democrats gained 75 seats on the back of President Truman’s campaign against a “do-nothing” GOP Congress.
The last time such a large swing occurred in a midterm election was in 1938, when Democrats lost 72 seats to Republicans in the middle of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s second term, as voters lost confidence in the New Deal.
While there’s a landslide bringing President Obama down; the Watcher’s Council would like to introduce its newest member, Simply Jews. We also acknowledge that a lot of us predicted that Harry Reid would lose. That’s why we blog more frequently than we prognosticate.
- Simply Jews – The dull, throbbing anxiety of Jonathan Franzen’s potential reader
- Right Truth – Changes in Fighting Terrorism and the Conservative Tsunami
- Joshuapundit – Reconquista: The Democrat’s Civil War Surfaces
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Well, knowing Channel 28 …
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Miss Beautiful Morals
- Bookworm Room – NPR’s carefully crafted tales — and why I don’t listen anymore
- The Razor – Life in the Echo Chamber
- VA Right – Vote!
- Rhymes With Right – A Quick Note On Texas Poll Watchers Standing Behind Voters
- The Glittering Eye – Tyrant For a Day
Non Council Submissions
- Life in Israel – GETTING THE YIDDISH SLURS RIGHT submitted by Simply Jews
- FrontPageMag – Bin Laden’s Iranian Protectors submitted by Right Truth
- HillBuzz –An Open Letter to Rush Limbaugh and His Listeners — With Notes on the Democrat Civil War Already In Progress submitted by Joshuapundit
- Big Questions Online – In Praise of Irrational Exuberance submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Abu Muqawama – An Open Letter to the Washington Post submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- YouTube/Team CrazyTalk –We Are The Ones: O RLY? submitted by Bookworm Room
- FrontPageMag – Thomas Sowell –Legacy of Lies submitted by The Razor
- RedState – A Special Note to Our Democrat Readers in Washington submitted by VA Right
- RedState – Pretending The Union Money Doesn’t Exist submitted by Rhymes With Right
- The Daily Bail – When The Big Banks Come Crawling Back, Screw ‘Em! Talking Points for the Anti-Bank Bailout Revolution submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Contentions – Some Historical Perspective on Negative Campaigning submitted by The Watcher