Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a group of some of the most incisive blogs in the`sphere. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one of their own and one from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best posts, with the results appearing in this space on Friday.
Council News: The Provacateur is no longer with us and should you be interested in becoming part of our group, we now have an open seat reserved for a quality blogger. The rules for applying and participating can be found at the top of this page. These seats don’t last long, so if you’re interested, don’t snooze.
This time of year is traditionally called the Dog Days, ( Latin: dies caniculares ) originally a sailor’s term referring to a time when Sirius, the Dog Star and the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major was most clearly visible in the sky.
Dog Days, usually falling between early August and early September were traditionally believed to be an evil time when the oceans boiled, wine turned sour, dogs went mad, monsters surfaced at sea and men became angry, hot tempered and prone to violence. Both World Wars started during the Dog Days.
Traditionally, the feast day of Saint Roch, the patron saint of dogs, is August 16.
We have our own version of Dog Days going on as war fever heats up in the Middle East and intensifies in Afghanistan, and political strife and division sweep Washington and the country.
The Dog Days, among their other attributes are also the time when people traditionally holiday, or get out of Dodge just to let passions cool off. That relief has been denied to Congress this year, as the Democrat majority in Congress found that braving the hell of Washington DC in August and plotting yet another raid on the American treasury in the form of a second stimulus infinitely preferable to facing their angry constituents at home.
Meanwhile, our Ruling Class pleasures itself in luxury resorts at our expense, seemingly blind to the temperature of the American people.
Ah, well. Such times usually end in a resolution of one kind or another, as the season changes. This version of Dog Days will be no different.
Rob Miller @ Joshuapundit
Ok, let’s see what we have this week….
- The Colossus of Rhodey –“OK, But …”
- Wolf Howling – Perry v. Schwarzenegger: A Modern Roe v. Wade
- The Glittering Eye – The Breakdown: the Wrap
- Virginia Right! – Obama Retaliates Against Virginia
- The Razor – Riders On The Storm
- Right Truth – The First Muslim College In America
- Bookworm Room – A history lesson about your Social Security card and benefits *UPDATED*
- Snapped Shot – Memo to Fayaz Kabli and Dar Yasin
- Rhymes with Right – We Are The Revolution People
- Mere Rhetoric – State Department: Hey, You Don’t Think Lebanon Used American Weapons To Attack Israel, Do You?
- JoshuaPundit – A Mosque At Ground Zero
- Brendan O’Neill at Spiked Online – “We’ll Only Listen to You If You’ve Been Peer Reviewed.” submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- funny or die – Eva Mendes Sex Tape submitted by Wolf Howling
- Belmont Club/Pajamas Media
– The Foundations of Our World submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Atlas Shrugs – Obama’s State Department Bankrolls Ground Zero Imam Rauf’s Middle East Fundraising Tour: “US Muslim Engagement” submitted by Virginia Right!
- Iowahawk – Undocumented Imam’s Refusal to Perform Interracial Gay Handicapped Wedding Leads to Charges of Racism submitted by The Razor
- Jack and Jill Politics, Jill Tubman – Michelle Obama — Dining on the Tears of Taxpayers in Spain? submitted by Right Truth
- Hot Air/Ed Morrisey – Why is the state involved in marriage at all? submitted by Bookworm Room
- Reuters Middle East Watch – Reuters Goes to Hollywood – submitted by Snapped Shot
- First Thoughts – Judge Walker’s Rational Basis for Supporting Polygamy submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Sultan Knish – Is Islam’s Problem a Lack of Modernity? submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Victor Davis Hanson – A Rather Angry America submitted by The Watcher
- Rabbi Dov Fisher – Why I Love Israel and Am Proud to Be Judged by Her Standards submitted by The Watcher
5 Responses to “Watcher’s Council Nominations – Dog Days Edition”