The answer is easy. Apparently both have allied themselves with Palestinians that view Jews as the common enemy as exemplified by the two winning entries in this week’s Watcher of Weasels contest.
Winning council member Mere Rhetoric takes on Yahoo by noting that someone at Yahoo went to the extraordinary measure of removing the Israeli town of Ariel, Irsrael from their weather service maps and replaced it with “Jenin, Palestinian Occupied Territories”.
Original: Kudos to whatever seething, obsessive anti-Israel organization managed to sneak this in under the radar. Drip drip drip delegitimization of the Jewish State is after all the strategy du jour. But seriously? This is what we’re doing now?
Apparently someone has convinced Yahoo to go into their News Weather data, erase “Ariel, Israel” as a valid location, and replace it “Jenin, Palestinian Occupied Territories.” The 20,000 residents from Ariel, where the relevant weather station is built, apparently don’t deserve their own weather. Yahoo has decreed that it belongs to the residents of Jenin, which is 25 miles north and 850 feet lower. It’s absurd that this kind of petty crap even has to be addressed, but inasmuch as it’s part and parcel of a broad-based replacement geography campaign it’s unfortunately not trivial.
Someone should ask Yahoo if there’s a list somewhere: which Israeli cities are Israelis allowed to keep, which do the Palestinians deign to let them share, which are entirely Palestinian, and which are simply unworthy of existing? Because given how they’ve gone out of their way to divide up Weather Channel data – more on that in a sec – apparently Israel’s capital, the Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo, and the city of Ariel are all in play.
As near as I can tell it was Reut Cohen who first reported that something was up. I’ve put the screencaps I reference at the end of this post for readability purposes:
Last night he called me to tell me that Ariel, Israel, which is an Israeli town near Jordan’s west border, had been renamed… Rather than seeing the weather for Ariel [on Yahoo’s weather widget], he saw “Jenin, Palestinian Occupied Territories” listed in its stead… It is unclear why the change was made, but it is clear that those who deny the right of Israel to exist consistently refer to all of Israel — not just Ariel, Israel — as occupied territories… It’s this sort of blatant political revisionism of renaming Israeli cities that we are up against… When it comes to historic revisionism, the so-called myth of tolerance and acceptance of Middle Eastern Jewry is a perfect example of history re-written to suit the agenda of Arab Nationalists and/or Islamic Totalitarian organizations.
Here’s where things get weird. Yahoo’s weather widget just takes data from Yahoo’s Weather site, which in turn gets its information from The Weather Channel. If you use The Weather Channel’s weather.com to check what’s going on in “Ariel, Israel” you get data from the weather station that – not coincidentally – is in Ariel.
Good job Yahoo. If only you were around to push Nazi propaganda during WWII.
Atlas Shrugs comes in on top in the non-council category with From Himmler with Love: “His Eminence, the Grand Mufti, In Remembrance”. In this article Shruggs returns to the Muslim riots of 1936 and discusses the Hitler’s pledge to the Grand Muslim Mufti of help in wiping the Jews off the face of the earth.
Palestinian leader meets Hitler, and they agree on their common enemy: The Jews.
Hitler: We’re natural allies – we have the same enemy, namely the Jews. When we win, the Mufti will be Fuehrer of Muslims.
The photo is inscribed by Himmler:
“To his eminence the Grand Mufti, 4 VII 1943, in remembrance H Himmler”
Seiner Eminenz dem Grossmufti 4 VII 1943[July 4, 1943] zur erinnerung H Himmler
It is almost impossible to believe that after the genocide of over six million Jews, the political committee of the General Assembly met (without a dissenting vote) to invite the Arav Higher Committee to testify before it on the Palestine [actually Israel] question.“Moreover, a special sitting of the General Assembly, was convened under pressure of the Arab states, in order to issue the invitation in a form which would invest the Arab Higher Committee with the same diplomatic status as the Jewish Agency for Palestine, the internationally recognized representative of the Jewish people.: [source; THE ARAB HIGHER COMMITTEE ITS ORIGINS, PERSONNEL AND PURPOSES: The Documentary Record submitted to the United Nations May 1947. NY: Nation Associates, 1947}
It is hard to believe that the rag we know of today, “The Nation,” was fierce in its pursuit of the truth and assembling an incredible document – an extraordinary collection of documents and photos showing collusion of the Arab League with the fascist governments and Nazis during the War, background of the Mufti’s aides, documents in Arabic, French and German are translated. Includes for instance Hitler’s pledge to the Mufti for help in Iraq revolt of 1941, other material on Iraq, Italians pledge to abolish Jewish National Home, letters from Mufti to discourage Jewish emigration from Germany. Mufti was head of the Arab Higher Committee. This document is a real indictment of the Arab Committee and the Mufti for abetting the destruction of European Jewry during the Shoah.
The head of the Arab Higher Committee was the Mufti Haj Haj Amin el-Husseini, a brutal jihadi responsible for repeated massacres of the Jews prior to the Holocaust.
Remembering the history of the Holocaust is important toward understanding the dangerous times in which we live today. Please pass on these excellent articles and inform your neighbors of the danger that is luring in their back yard.
Congratulations to all the winning submissions. Join us next Wednesday for another contest in search of the biggest weasels in the world!
Winning Council Submissions
- First place with 2 1/3 points! – Mere Rhetoric – Yahoo Wipes “Ariel, Israel” Off The Map, Replaces It With “Jenin, Palestinian Occupied Territories”
- Second place with 2 points – Bookworm Room–Leftist tactics to scare the uninformed about America’s religious freedoms *UPDATED*
- Third place with 1 2/3 points – Wolf Howling – The Three Stooges Meet Al Qaeda In Undiegate
- Third place with 1 2/3 points – The Colossus of Rhodey – The Colonel’s Tiger
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 points – Rhymes With Right – But If She Wanted An Abortion, It Would Have Been No Big Deal
- Fifth place with 1 points – Joshuapundit – The Valley Of Decision : Iran Crosses The Nuclear Threshold
- Sixth place with 2/3 points – American Digest – Last Light
- Seventh place with 1/3 points – Right Truth – GOP: You blew it!
Winning Non-Council Submissions
- First place with 2 points! – Atlas Shrugs – From Himmler with Love: “His Eminence, the Grand Mufti, In Remembrance”
- Second place with 1 2/3 points – Pamela Geller @ Big Government – Obama Recruiting Radicals in High Schools
- Second place with 1 2/3 points – Plumb Bob Blog – A New Political Term: Debt Reduction
- Third place with 1 1/3 points – Cobb – King Solomon’s Mines
- Fourth place with 1 points – City Journal – The Grasping Hand
- Fourth place with 1 points – SCOTUSblog – Ending Racial Preferences
- Fifth place with 2/3 points – Daled Amos – The Middle East: The New York Times hasn’t learned its lesson and now it’s teaching it
- Fifth place with 2/3 points – KeithHennessey.com – The President’s Bigger Budget
- Fifth place with 2/3 points – American Thinker / Randall Hoven – The Lost Decade
- Sixth place with 1/3 points – Commentary Contentions – When the Telling Starts