Neither rain, nor snow,nor power outages stop the Watcher’s Council! The Council has rendered its judgment and the results of the Watcher’s Council contest this week are history.
Our winner this week was Joshuapundit for Lipstick On A Pig – Whitewashing The Muslim Brotherhood. I don’t mind admitting it…over the past week, I have been appalled ( to put it mildly) by the Obama White House’s new embrace of the Muslim Brotherhood, echoed by the administration’s fanboys and fangirls on the Left who now proclaim the Brotherhood as ‘non-violent’ and ‘democratic’. So I decided to present a little history to remind my readers of who these people really are, as opposed to the revisionist version :
‘Non-violent’ and ‘democratic’ is an interesting way to describe the Muslim Brotherhood, the chief inspiration of jihadists worldwide, including its ‘Palestinian’ branch, the Islamic Resistance Movement, better known as Hamas.
The founder of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hassan al-Banna, and the movement’s major philosopher and ideologue Sayyid Qutb are the intellectual inspiration behind al-Qaeda, Lashkar e Tiaba, Hizb’ut Tahrir,The Taliban, Jemayaah Islamiah,and virtually every violent Sunni Islamist group on the planet. And it was the ‘non-violent’ Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt that assassinated Egyptian prime minister Mahmud Nokrashi in 1948 for being too secular, and attempted to assassinate Egyptian strongman Gamal Nasser and launch an Islamist coup against his regime. More recently, the Brotherhood murdered Egyptian president Anwar Sadat in 1981 for making peace with Israel, and made a number of attempts on King Hussein of Jordan’s life.
After these episodes, the Brotherhood was vigorously suppressed in Egypt by both Nasser and Sadat’s successor, Hosni Mubarak. Both occasions led to a large number of Ikhwan followers seeking refuge in countries like Saudi Arabia,Qatar, Kuwait and the Emirates.
They found refuge and welcome there, and the Brotherhood ideology merged seamlessly with wahabism and petro-dollars to create today’s Islamist movement.
The Brotherhood, like the other jihadist groups favors a Global Islamic Caliphate ruled by sharia, Islam’s legal-political structure along the same lines that the Taliban ruled Afghanistan and Hamas rules Gaza,but they have taken Mohammed’s words. “War is deception” to heart.
While they have no compunction in using violence to advance their agenda at a time of their own choosing, their official preferred model is is to undermine a society politically and socially first. However, they have no problem with more violent jihadists, and a number of Brotherhood adherents have played a prominent role in violent jihad. Sheikh Abdul Rahman of WTC bombing fame and al-Qaeda’s Number Two Ayman Zawahiri both came out of the Ikhwan, among many others.
Our Non-Council winner by TPM was Pakistan and the Mumbai Attacks: The Untold Story , a heart rending and impeccably sourced account of what happened at Mumbai and who was involved in the planning, training and execution of the attack.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 votes! – Joshuapundit-–Lipstick On A Pig – Whitewashing The Muslim Brotherhood
- Second place with 2 votes – The Razor-Accepting the Change In Egypt
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – Bookworm Room – The Egypt crisis; or, the Community Activist and foreign policy
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Future Pyramidland
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Right Truth – You have options if government shuts down Internet
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –Colossus of Rhodey- A “shut up and write” protest doesn’t quite work, but …
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – Of Philanthropists and Monsters – Rockin’ the Casbah
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Law Prof Gets It Wrong On Right To Revolt
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Egypt revolution: so this is what it’s all about…
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – VA Right – Obama Observes 30 Days of Silence on Egypt
- First place with 3 1/3 votes! – TPM- Pakistan and the Mumbai Attacks: The Untold Story submitted byJoshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – Big Law Firm Takes Down Big Conservative Blogger submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Second Place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Energy Tribune – Is It Really The Warmest Ever? submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Iowahawk – B.Y.O.B. submitted by The Watcher
- Third place with 1 vote –Doug Ross – Constitutional Crisis Brewing: Administration Refuses To Submit to Subpoena Requests submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Center For Security Policy –The Muslim Brotherhood: the enemy in its own words submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –American Thinker-The Story Of The Egyptian Revolution submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Passing Parade-State Of The Union submitted by Simply Jews
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Cato @Liberty-Judge Vinson’s Greatest Hits submitted by VA Right
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote –The Pagan Temple – Sarah Palin Responds To Obama’s State Of The Union submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey