Sometimes I think it’s a sin
When I feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Sundown – Gordon Lightfoot
Because of its vastness, the British Empire was said to have been the empire on which the sun never sets.
In a sense, the sun has set on the British Empire in that many of its former colonies are now independent, but as Wolf Howling in this week’s Council winning post observes, it has generally left those lands in better shape than when they arrived.
The penultimate question one must ask is whether the world would be better off today had there been no British colonialism? To anyone of intellectual honesty – and to at least one Malaysian professor teaching in Britain today – the answer to that question has to be an emphatic and absolute “No.” The truth is that there is a significant portion of this world that owes their peace, prosperity and stability to the legacy of British colonialism.
In other words, the English ought to feel like they’ve won, not lost.
Caroline Glick’s winning non-council entry this week, celebrates the success of one former British colony, Israel.
From the US’s perspective, far from impairing its alliance-making capabilities in the region, by providing military assistance to Israel, America isn’t just strengthening the most stabilizing force in the region. It is showing all states and non-state actors in the greater Middle East it is trustworthy.
- First place with 3 votes – Wolf Howling – Thoughts On Britain, Colonialism, and Multiculturalism
- Second place with 2 votes – Bookworm Room – Ordinary people view Rush as a dangerous Svengali
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – Mere Rhetoric – Academic Linguist: Palin Speaks Like A Cognitive “Toddler,” Linguistically She’s “A Child”
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – The Razor – Clinton Holds Tea Party to Higher Standards Than Islam
- Fifth place with 1 vote – The Glittering Eye – Think Small!
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – Philly Inquirer offers ed school “solutions” to South Philly school violence
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – JoshuaPundit – Stealth Jihad – GOP Senate Wanna-Be Tom Campbell’s Questionable Connections
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – American Digest – The American Argument
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Right Truth – Israel should set up a War Room for Propaganda
- First place with 2 1/3 votes – Caroline Glick – The strategic foundations of the US-Israel alliance Submitted by Right Truth
- Second place with 2 votes – Zenpundit – More Mackinlay – On Why the USG Doesn’t “Get” AQ as a “Global Insurgency” Submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – Word Around the Net –Creeping Tyranny Submitted by American Digest
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Daled Amos – Zionists Kicked Palestinian Arabs Out Of Palestine? Why Do You Think Arabs Came In The First Place? Submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Doug Ross Journal – Gee, that policy change is quite a shock. In May of 2008, Candidate Obama stated: Israel a “constant sore” that “infects… foreign policy” Submitted by Mere Rhetoric
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Beltway Confidential – Is Goldman Obama’s Enron? No, it’s worse Submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Zombie/Pajamas Media – Crashing the Crashers: Tea Party Infiltrators Outmaneuvered in S.F. Submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Sign on San Diego – Dog Fighting Portrayal Ruled Legal Submitted by The Provocateur
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Truth In Black & Right – I Like My Tea Black Submitted by Wolf Howling
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – NewsBusters – Time’s Klein: Beck, Palin Potentially Committing Sedition against U.S. Government; Heilemann Adds Limbaugh Submitted by Rhymes with Right