Now they stood beside the treasure,
On the mountain, dark and red.
Turned the stone and looked beneath it…
“Peace on Earth” was all it said.
One Tin Soldier – The Coven
While I know that it is an anti-war song, I chose “One Tin Soldier” because of the irony. Nowadays it is usually those of the Left who, in the name of peace, support some of the most repressive, violent regimes around. That is a theme that unites our two winning posts of the week.
This week’s regular Council voting ended up in a tie between Joshuapundit‘s Jews, Democrats And ‘Progressives’ and VA Right –‘s The Bush Administration Never Fondled Our Genetalia. After careful consideration of both fine posts, I cast my deciding vote for JoshuaPundit.
In his winning post Jews, Democrats And ‘Progressives’, Joshuapundit outlines one troubling element of the Jewish vote:
For many Jews who embrace the ‘progressive’ mindset, the very existence of Israel is an embarrassment. It is a nasty bit of old time nationalism in an ideology that embraces ‘solidarity’ and a New World Order where such tiresome concepts are put to rest under the banner of the UN. Not only does the necessity of a strong and powerful Jewish State as a haven for Jews in a world that has demonstrated its hostility and even murderous intent towards them more than once escape them, it serves to single them out once again amongst their ‘progressive’ brethren.
Is it any wonder that the most vicious condemnation of virtually everything Israel does to preserve its security and nationhood should find its harshest critics among Jewish ‘progressives’ on the Left? Is it really a mystery that outspokenly pro-Israel Christians like Sarah Palin and Pastor John Haggee should come in for special vilification? It shouldn’t be. ‘Progressive’ Jews need to prove their bonifides to their philosophical comrades .
In his non-council winning post, A Smiling Obama Returns to Bloody Jakarta , Sultan Knish writes about President Obama’s selective outrage:
While Obama found time to blast Israel for building housing in Jerusalem, he made no mention of the Indonesian genocide in East Timor. No word about the Indonesian mass murder of between 100,000 to 200,000 people in a country whose population totaled little more than half a million. Shortly after Obama left Jakarta, the Indonesian regime began an occupation that lasted until 1999. An occupation armed and aided by successive US administrations.
But there is a reason you won’t hear about the meat hooks where Indonesian backed militias hung their victims, before mutilating and killing them. You won’t hear about the fields of the dead where the corpses of men, women and children were piled into mass graves. You won’t hear of the machete squads who hacked people to death in full public view and on video. You certainly won’t hear about the ethnic cleansing, the mass deportations, the gang rapes or even the murder of Western reporters. And there’s a simple reason for all that.
Indonesia is a Muslim country. Their victims in East Timor were Christians.
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! – Joshuapundit – Jews, Democrats And ‘Progressives’
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – VA Right – The Bush Administration Never Fondled Our Genetalia
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Asking For It
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Simply Jews – Mutual backscratching society
- Fourth place *t* wiht 1 vote – Bookworm Room – Why I am a fascist (according to my liberal friend)
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Mere Rhetoric – J Street Candidates Wiped Out In Senate, Lose More Than Half Of Competitive House Races
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Right Truth – Obama Forces Jihad Down India’s Throat, and America’s
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – Election Post-Mortem
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Razor – California: SNAFU
- First place with 3 votes! – Sultan Knish – A Smiling Obama Returns to Bloody Jakarta submitted by The Watcher
- Second place with 2 votes – Harry’s Place – East London Mosque: When in Trouble, Throw Chaff submitted by Simply Jews
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Republican Riot –Israeli Professor Nails It: Obama was Right when he said America is not a Christian Country submitted by Right Truth
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Arm Chair Generalist – Progressive National Security Policies submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – American Thinker – De Facto Shariah Law in America submitted by VA Right
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – LATMA – Tribal Update/Victims Of Peace submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – johnny dollar’s place – The Phony ‘Journalism’ of Rachel Maddow submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Discriminations – The Quest For “Diversity” At The Most Selective Public High School In America submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Gizmodo – The Quadrotor Drone Learns Several Terrifying New Tricks submitted by Mere Rhetoric