The votes have been cast, the sacred runes read and this week’s Watcher’s Council results are history.
Many of the entries this week focused on the Wikileaks story but our winner this week, The Razor for America’s China Problem focused on a different area, an interesting analysis of the China, US, and Korea relationship, and how it might resolve itself:
To paraphrase Gordon Chang writing in Forbes magazine, we don’t have a North Korean problem, we have a China problem. Chang made this observation over a year and a half ago after North Korea tested a second atomic bomb, and it applies even more today. So far this year North Korea has killed 50 South Koreans in unequivocal acts of war – 46 in the sinking of the South Korean destroyer Cheonan and 4 in the shelling of Yeonpyeong island.
China’s continued support of North Korea is self-defeating. It would like nothing more than to drive the United States out of the western Pacific, yet paradoxically China’s unqualified support of North Korea’s belligerence pushes South Korea and Japan closer to the United States and sucks America deeper into the region. Protests in Seoul against the American presence have been replaced by protests demanding immediate retaliation – with American involvement.
China is worried about two events: a mass influx of refugees in the near-term and a unified Korea allied with the United States in the long-term. By propping up the Kims they may have created the conditions where both outcomes are likely.
Our non-Council winner was the one and only Iowahawk for White House in Talks With Elusive Taliban Leader an absolutely hilarious satire based on the unfortunately true story that surfaced last week – diplomats in Afghanistan have been negotiating for some time with a supposed Taliban leader who was nothing of the kind!
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 votes! – The Razor –– America’s China Problem
- Second place with 2 votes – Mere Rhetoric-Wikileaks – Anti-Israel Foreign Policy Experts Got Saudi Arabia, Other Arab Countries 100% Backward On Iran Attack
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes –simply Jews- Lori Berenson: a nice Jewish girl from a nice Jewish family? You bet…
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –Joshuapundit- Wikileaks Proved Obama Lied Repeatedly About Middle East Policy
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – The Glittering Eye – Building What Sort of Nation?
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Right Truth – WikiLeak Documents, There Must Be Consequences
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – VA Right – Wikileaks: Does Obama Have a Hidden Agenda in Allowing Classified Leaks?
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Snapped Shot – Best Comment In History
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Speaker Straus Has Got To Go!
- First place with 3 votes! – Iowahawk- White House in Talks With Elusive Taliban Leader submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place with 2 votes – Zero Hedge – In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Third Place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – The Belmont Club – Helplessly Hoping submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Tablet – Deadly Fictions submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place with 1 vote – Bearing Drift – …but what if it is all unconstitutional? submitted by VA Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Mick Hartley –Demonising Iran submitted by Simply Jews
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes The Truth According to Mark – –Stop Being Afraid of Obama submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Elder of Ziyon – Iran used Red Crescent to send agents and weapons to Hezbollah s submitted by Mere Rhetoric
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Elder of Ziyon – UN “threatened” CBC reporter; Hezbollah uses hospital for comm HQ submitted by Snapped Shot
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Sarah Palin – Serious Questions about the Obama Administration’s Incompetence in the Wikileaks Fiasco submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
See you next week!