Alea iacta est…the Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and we have the results for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“In war, truth is the first casualty” -Aeschylus
“We maintain peace through our strength; appeasement only invites aggression” – President Ronald Reagan, 1983
“They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. ‘Peace, peace,’ they say, when there is no peace.” –
– Jeremiah 8:11
This week’s winner was Joshuapundit’s Yes, The Peace Talks Are Dead – And An Opportunity For Real Peace Comes Alive . Here’s the real story of how things imploded and why, and how the Obama Administration set things up for failure. I attempt to wrap up the post mortum and show that there’s an opportunity for real peace here,what I think it would take and what it might look like Here’s a slice:
While neither side has formally acknowledged it, the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks are dead, and even John Kerry has thrown in the towel.
The Obama Team would never admit it, but they’re fully aware that it was Palestine’s unelected dictator Mahmoud Abbas that pulled the trigger and ended the talks, and his own controlled Palestinian media proudly admits it. Both Palestinian and Israeli media outlets on Thursday night quoted Abbas as saying, “I would rather become a martyr” than rescind the applications he signed on Tuesday to join 15 UN and other international treaties and conventions.
Kerry and the rest of the Obama team managed to arm twist the Israelis into discussing a further release of convicted terrorists along with releasing the fourth batch provided Abbas rescinded the UN membership applications and agreed to extend the deadline of the talks.
Instead of agreeing to what amounted to another gimmee, Abbas came out with a whole new set of pre-conditions to continue talks, conditions he knew no Israeli government could accept. According to Abbas’ own Palestinian News Agency Ma’an, the new pre-conditions included formal Israeli recognition of the borders of ‘Palestine’ as the pre-67 lines with all of East Jerusalem as its capitol; the release of 1,200 Palestinian prisoners including convicted terrorist leaders Marwan Barghouti, Fuad Shweiki and Ahmad Saadat; a Israeli building freeze in East Jerusalem and all of Judea and Samaria; Israeli citizenship for 15,000 Palestinians under a ‘family reunification program’ essentially a recognition of a Palestinian ‘right of return’; the end of Israel’s blockade of Hamas in Gaza; the right of return for PLO terrorists who were exiled to European countries under an agreement between the EU and Israel after the 2002 Palestinian siege of the Church of the Nativity; forbidding the IDF to enter Area A, the part of Judea and Samaria under PA control which would essentially create an escape zone for terrorists after attacks on Israelis since the PA has never jailed anyone for murdering an Israeli; and Palestinian control of parts of Area C, the areas now under full Israeli sovereignty.
And that was just to continue listening to Abbas say no for another few months!
Kerry’s deputy Martin Indyk mediated a nine hour meeting between head Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat, Head of Palestinian intelligence Majid Faraj, and Israeli negotiators Tzipi Livni and Yitzhak Molcho and tried to cable together some semblance of a reasonable platform, but he was yelled down by the Palestinian negotiators and the entire meeting turned into a shouting match, with even the ever flexible Tzipi Livni unable to contain herself. At one point, Livni reportedly demanded of Erekat that Abbas rescind the applications to the 15 UN organizations and conventions he’d submitted in order to negotiate any other preconditions. Erekat flatly refused, and Livni announced the next day that Israel would definitely not release that fourth batch of convicted Palestinian terrorists.
When Indyk tried to reason with the Palestinians, saying that any agreement had to consider Israel’s security considerations, Faraj snapped back that the Palestinians weren’t there to discuss Israeli security, but to negotiate over a timetable to get all of their demands met.
Things went quickly downhill from there, with the Palestinians threatening to join even more international bodies and take prosecute Israel for ‘war crimes’ at the International Criminal Court and the Israelis promising retaliation if they did so.
Abbas never had any intention of actually negotiating. Even Saeb Erekat admitted earlier this month that Abbas was staying in the talks just to get the terrorist releases.
Much more at the link
In our non-Council category, the winner was Matt Walsh – Hey gay rights militants: your fascism is showing submitted by Joshuapundit. It’s Walsh’s defiant blowback to the Gay Mafia and progressive fascism in general, and it makes for some stirring reading.
OK, here are this week’s full results.
- *First place with 5 votes!Joshuapundit –Yes, The Peace Talks Are Dead – And An Opportunity For Real Peace Comes Alive
- Second place with 3 1/3 votes –Bookworm Room – We don’t have a “gay mafia,” we have a “gay Soviet”
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes –Liberty’s Spirit – An Open Letter to the Jewish-American Community: What is wrong with you?
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – The Cuban Spring That Never Was – A Social Networking Petri Dish
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Ask Marion – The Elephants in the Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – Mozilla CEO forced out due to radical P.C.
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Right Planet – Video: Common Clod Jeb Bush Launches Ad Campaign Promoting Common Core
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Nice Deb – The Curious Case of Obama’s Cancelled State Dinner In Saudi Arabia
li>Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye –The Distraction
li>Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Razor – Obamacare Tax Is Here for Individuals Too
- First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Matt Walsh – Hey gay rights militants: your fascism is showing submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place with 2 votes – Qanta Ahmad/National Review – Honor Diaries: Silencing Speaks Volumes submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 vote–Bryan Preston/PJ Tattler –Massive Vote Fraud Discovered in NC’s 2012 Election submitted by Nice Deb
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote –Sultan Knish –A World War of Community Organizers submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Carnegie Europe – Dangers of German Strategy submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote –Michael Quinn Sullivan – Constitution Doesn’t Matter submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote–The Other McCain – ‘Highly Intoxicated Vaginal Penetration’:RapeCulture and Campus Reality submitted by Watcher
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Daily Dish – The Hounding of a Heretic submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Blaze – What if an ex-KGB officer predicted that the USSR would fake its own collapse to ultimately defeat the West … and no one listened? submitted by The Right Planet
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Centre Left – The Guardian reaches a new low (iii) submitted by Simply Jews
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Andrew Stiles/Washington Free Beacon – Harry Reid Took Money from Koch Lobbyist submitted by Ask Marion
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote –Yevgen Sautin/The American Interest –Russia’s Next Move in Ukraine submitted by The Razor
li>Third place with 1 2/3 votes –Victor Davis Hanson–America’s New Anti-Strategy submitted by Bookworm Room
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council and their invited special guests take apart one of the provocative issues of the day with short takes and weigh in…don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter…..’cause we’re cool like that!