Welcome to the latest edition of the Watcher’s council, a group of some of the most incisive blogs in the`sphere. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one of their own and one from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The Council votes to pick the winners in each category and the results can be seen in this space on Friday morning.
Thanksgiving’s upon us, our unique North American Holiday (yes, our Canadian friends celebrate it too, but on a different day a month earlier).
Oh, I almost forgot. It’s also celebrated ( and properly so) as a national holiday in the Caribbean Republic of Grenada, every year on October 25. That’s the day American Marines liberated them from Communist jefecito Maurice Bishop and his Cuban allies back in 1983.
Over the years, Thanksgiving has acquired a number of traditions here in America..foods like roast turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing and pumpkin pie, football on TV, travel madness for those leaving town to be with their extended families…and a feeling of thankfulness for G-d’s bounty and the closeness to our families, sometimes unexpressed but never absent.
As you celebrate, try something…no matter your circumstances, take a long moment to reflect on your blessings. Be thankful for that bountiful harvest, for your loved ones, for your friends, for the fact that we live as free men and women in a free country. And remember that this is only a reality because other men and women are willing to endure hardship and be away from their own loved ones to keep it so.
President Bush, whatever his other failings seems to have understood that on a visceral level. Just for contrast with present times, I unearthed this old picture of him circa 2003 on a surprise visit to Iraq to help serve Thanksgiving dinner to our troops there and spend the day with them. And unlike someone else I know, President Bush wouldn’t have ever referred to it as a ‘pretty good photo op.’
Whatever else you do, take a minute to spend some time and enjoy the feeling of being close to the people that have always been there for you, the ones you can’t leave behind, as the song says. It’s important.
Best Wishes for an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving.
COUNCIL NEWS: Unfortunately no one took advantage of our generous offer of link whorage this week. But if you wish to have your work earn an honorable mention and appear on the Watcher’s Council page next week, the opportunity is open and up for grabs.
Here’s how you do it:
- Make a post on your site linking to this week’s Council winners
- Send me an e-mail with the subject line ‘link whorage’ at email@example.com with a link to the post linking to this week’s winners and a link to a new piece you’ve written that you want to appear here the following week.
- We”ll do the rest, and the increased traffic and the resulting fame and notoriety are all yours!
So, without further ado let’s see what we have this week….
- Mere Rhetoric – Obama: We’re Giving Iran More Time Because Of Their “Unsettled Political Situation”
- Joshuapundit – Navy SEALS Face Court martial – For Capturing Wanted Terrorist
- Right Truth– Bible verse attributed to Barack Obama
- Bookworm Room – Being a contrarian and NOT buying (or being) green
- The Provocateur – The Put Back Amendment
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Hard to argue? Not really
- The Razor – The Weak Horse Named Obama
- Rhymes With Right – A question I’ve been raising
- The Glittering Eye – The Green and the Black
- Soccer Dad – Clinton’s faulty memory, part ii
- Submitted By: The Watcher – Ken Blackwell/American Spectator Blog– Welcome Back Carter
- Submitted By: Soccer Dad – Daled Amos – State Department: Obama Administration has accomplished more than 8 years of Bush
- Submitted By: Joshuapundit – Robin of Berkeley/American Thinker – The Wilding of Sarah Palin
- Submitted By: Right Truth – the Chessler Chronicles – Why is America still allied with Saudi Arabia?
- Submitted By: Bookworm Room – The Strata-Sphere – Alarmist hide truth about (lack of ) global warming
- Submitted By: The Provocateur – HSA Scoop – The only real solution to health care reform
- Submitted By: The Colossus of Rhodey – Edge – 36 Arguments for the existence of God
- Submitted By: The Razor – Sultan Knish – Obama goes Mao
- Submitted By: Rhymes With Right – Quin Hilyer/ the American Spectator Blog – Justice Depart ment Recusal List
- Submitted By: The Glittering Eye – New Atlanticist – Obama and Afghanistan: No good choices
- Submitted By: Mere Rhetoric – Freaknomics – Shovel ready or ready to shovel?