WoW Contest Winners for the Week of Sep. 1, 2009
Congratulations to another great week of entries and winners!
Winning council member Joshua Pundit looked back into the legislative history of Senator Ted Kennedy in a posthumous examination of the impact Mr. Kennedy had on the nation while serving in the Senate.
Here’s a taste:
What is Kennedy’s true legacy?
Senator Ted Kennedy could accurately be called the Godfather of our current immigration mess, starting with his role in creating and passing the Immigration Act of 1965, which radically changed the demographic face of America. It abolished the long standing quota system based on national origins that had regulated America’s demographic composition based on the fair proportion of each group’s existing presence in the US population.
Instead, the 1965 bill was heavily weighted towards promoting immigration from the third world. It greatly eased immigration requirements for entry and extended those downgraded requirements to extended family members who faced no quota whatsoever, thus allowing ‘chain migration’.
Speaking on the floor of the Senate in 1965, Senator Kennedy had this to say about the bill:
“Our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same. Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset. Contrary to the charges in some quarters, the bill will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia — and in the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.
The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs..No immigrant visa will be issued to a person who is likely to become a public charge.”
Kennedy assured the American people that immigration would remain at around 300,000 per year, as it was in 1965. It almost doubled the year after the bill was passed and is now running at well over a million legal immigrants per year.
The winning non-council entry was an article that appeared in the Las Vegas Review Journal. The author Sherman Frederick spanked Las Vegas Senator Dirty Harry Reid for an obvious shakedown attempt of the newspaper in retaliation for it’s opinion section that the senator must not be a fan of. The spanking was great, the kind we wish we would see more often from reporters and opinion makers in the mainstream media.
We’ve seen cattle ranches give way to railroads. We chronicled the construction of Hoover Dam. We reported on the first day of legalized gambling. The first hospital. The first school. The first church. We survived the mob, Howard Hughes, the Great Depression, several recessions, two world wars, dozens of news competitors and any number of two-bit politicians who couldn’t stand scrutiny, much less criticism.
We’re still here doing what we do for the people of Las Vegas and Nevada. So, let me assure you, if we weathered all of that, we can damn sure outlast the bully threats of Sen. Harry Reid.
On Wednesday, before he addressed a Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Reid joined the chamber’s board members for a meet-‘n’-greet and a photo. One of the last in line was the Review-Journal’s director of advertising, Bob Brown, a hard-working Nevadan who toils every day on behalf of advertisers. He has nothing to do with news coverage or the opinion pages of the Review-Journal.
Yet, as Bob shook hands with our senior U.S. senator in what should have been nothing but a gracious business setting, Reid said: “I hope you go out of business.”
See you on Tuesday for the next contest!! Please enjoy all of this week’s winning entries.
Winning Council Submissions
- First place with 3 points! – Joshuapundit – Ted Kennedy Stumbles Offstage
- Second place with 1 points – Mere Rhetoric – Auto Industry Insider Explains How C4C Distorted The Market, Wiped Out Rebates, And Cemented Japanese Dominance
- Third place with 1 points – Bookworm Room – Hollywood’s Perverted Patriotism
- Fourth place with 1 points – (T*) – Soccer Dad – The right to a Jewish state
- Fourth place with 1 points – (T*) – The Colossus of Rhodey – “Change” is right
- Fifth place with 1 points – Right Truth – Answers about release of Lockerbie bomber lead to more questions
Winning Non-Council Submissions
- First place with 1 2/3 points! – Sherman Frederick @ Las Vegas Review-Journal – Enough is enough, Harry – Stop the childish bullying
- Second place with 1 1/3 points – (T*) – zenpundit – Apocalyptic Vision
- Second place with 1 1/3 points – (T*) – Big Hollywood – Mr. President, Please Don’t Bogart the Blunt
- Second place with 1 1/3 points – (T*) – Jerome Auerbach/WSJ – Remembering The Hebron Massacre
- Third place with 1 points – Foreign Policy – Is a Green World a Safer World?
- Fourth place with 2/3 points – (T*) – The Corner – Re Will on Afghanistan
- Fourth place with 2/3 points – (T*) – The Hashmonean – Occupation Vocation: Palestinian Peace of the Not So Brave